Усилители в сравнительных конструкциях
См. стр. 140 comparison (6) much, far etc with comparatives and superlatives ( Practical English Usage Michael Swan).
Со степенями сравнения употребляются различные наречия.
very не используется со сравнительной степенью.
Используются much, far, very, very much, (a lot, lots — разг.) any, no, rather, a little, a bit and even.
Превосходная степень может употребляться со словами much и by far и с другими наречиями.
Do the exercise. Сheck yourself with the key. Variants are possible.
1. He had married a woman *** *** younger than himself.
2. I can’t walk *** farther.
3. This melon is *** the ripest of the lot.
4. She is *** the best executive in the company.
5. In England shops close *** too often and *** too early.
6. She was *** the camp’s best swimmer.
7. She was *** the smartest student
8. They are *** the best students in the class.
9. Henry’s room is *** bigger than mine.
10. These shoes are *** more comfortable.
11. Tell them it is ***, *** worse.
12. The Queen has always liked Fergie and gets on *** better with her than she does with her other daughter-in-law, Princess Diana.
13. Some gentle but firm pressure — could almost certainly have persuaded Fergie to make a *** greater effort to get back with Andrew.
14. The truth is *** more simple.
15. Although the woman was *** bigger, she kept her wits and refused to let her take the baby.
16. The pixel size of the TV-scanned image is *** larger than the pixel size generated by a drum scanner.
17. Microwaves have wavelengths *** longer than the thermal IR.
18. That is to say, the acoustic evidence for the word seemed to be *** weaker when the semantic evidence for it was stronger.
19. The result was that we were *** more competitive in the second-half. »
20. There are now *** more manifestations of this shared responsibility.
21. The main attraction of B&B is that it has always been *** cheaper than hotels and this is still the case.
22. I can run *** faster than you.
23. Men take *** longer in the supermarket than women.
24. We’re playing *** better under the new coach.
25. The merger has created *** problems than it has solved.
26. Children generally feel *** more confident working in groups.
27. It was *** more expensive than I had expected.
28. He finds physics *** more difficult than other science subjects.
Check yourself with the KEY