Темы устной речи 10 класс
Данные вопросы были представлены для контроля устной речи на районной олимпиаде в Гомельской области в 2010 году.
Communicative skills assessment 10th form
1. People are never too old to attend college or university.
1) Are you a quick learner?
2) What would you like to learn?
3) Remember the last lesson you attended. What techniques and methods did the teacher use at the lesson?
4) Why do you think people go to colleges or universities?
2. Some people prefer to live in a small town. Others prefer to live in a big city.
1) What are the problems that capital cities facing already?
2) What maybe the consequences of the population growth?
3) What are the most important advantages of living in a big city?
4) Do you sometimes feel like getting away from hustle and bustle of city life?
3. People trust their first impressions about a person’s character because they believe their judgements are generally correct.
1) When you see someone in unusual clothes do you laugh at them?
2) Are you an ambitious person?
3) How much does your outlook depend on the opinion of others?
4) Do you agree that every person has the right to dress and act how he or she wants to?
4. Is it better for children to participate in team sports than individual sports?
1) Are you keen on sport?
2) Does physical education at school help you to keep fit?
3) Do you do morning exercises?
4) What is more important for you to win or to participate?
5. People listen to music for different reasons and at different times.
1) Why do you listen to music?
2) How quickly do your likes in music change?
3) Can you draw a line between popular and classical music and show the difference between them?
4) Does playing musical instrument require skills or talent?
6. Choose one of the following careers (lawyer, teacher, tour guide, airplane pilot, doctor, etc) and explain why it is important to society.
1) Could you dedicate several years of your life to studying?
2) What traits of character should a person possess to become a lawyer, a teacher?
3) Are the teachers different from people of other professions?
4) Do you think children should follow in the steps of their parents?
7. When choosing a place to live, what do you consider most important?
1) What does the word home mean for you?
2) What are the main types of houses in which people live in Great Britain?
3) What is your attitude to renovating old buildings and turning them into modern homes?
4) Can we learn anything about someone’s character from their house?
8. Some people believe that the best way of learning about life is by listening to the advice of family or friends?
1) How important is family life in today’s world?
2) Why does the preceding generation always say that the next is not as they were?
3) Do you feel you are an adult?
4) How do your parents/friends influence your major choices in life concerning career, school, choosing a university?
9. We should read only those books that are about real events, real people, and established facts.
1) What helps you choose a book for reading?
2) What Belаrusian writers make the pride of the Belаrusian literature?
3) What English writer would you recommend to read to your friend?
4) Is it important to read?
10. Earth is being harmed (damaged) by human activity.
1) What do you consider to be the most important environmental issue?
2) Do you agree that private companies should spend more money to clean up pollution in the environment?
3) What can we do to improve environmental problem?
4) How much should the government interfere with this problem?
11. In some countries teenagers have jobs while they are still students. Do you think this is a good idea?
1) At what age are teenagers allowed to work in your country?
2) Do you work in summer time?
3) Can you prove that being a teenager today is more difficult than it was earlier?
4) Are you ready to work hard to make a career?
12. Learning a foreign language is an everlasting process.
1) How long have you been learning English?
2) Have you ever visited an English-speaking country?
3) Why is it difficult to study a foreign language?
4) What is a secret of successful language learning?
13. Life without entertainment would be boring.
1) Why do people prefer to watch films at the cinema instead of relaxing on the couch in front of their TV sets?
2) How do people spend their free time in your country?
3) What’s your idea of fun?
4) The English say: «He who knows how to work, knows how to rest». Do you agree with this saying?
14. Some people believe that weather along with politics and religion is not a proper topic for conversation.
1) With whom and when do you discuss weather?
2) Would you like four seasons to be substituted by one? Which and why?
3) What are the peculiarities of the English climate?
4) Which season possesses the greatest charm and value for you?
15. Technology and its impact.
1) In your opinion what is the greatest invention of all times?
2) How has technology improved our lives?
3) How do you define technology?
4) Would you rather live in a world with everything entirely dependent on technology or without any technology whatsoever?
16. A sense of humour can sometimes be helpful in difficult situations.
1) Are you an easy-going person?
2) Do you hide your true emotions when you meet someone you know not very well?
3) Can you keep your temper under control?
4) Can you laugh at yourself?
17. Doing shopping is a relaxing pastime.
1) Do you shop every day or buy food once in a while? Why?
2) What should a shop possess to make you return there one more time?
3) What’s your attitude to window-shopping?
4) Do you buy clothes independently or does anybody advises you on what you should buy?
18. If you overhead people talking behind your back what would you like them to say about you?
1) What kind of people appeal to you?
2) If you could have any talent that you do not already possess, what would it be?
3) Can you always tell people what you really think?
4) How do you assess and form impressions of others?
19. You are what you wear.
1) Do you agree that following the fashion you lose your individuality?
2) Do you blindly follow the fashion or do you preserve your own style and standards?
3) How quickly do your tastes in fashion change?
4) Do you agree with the proverb: «The tailor makes the man?»
20. A friend in need is a friend indeed.
1) Is it easy for you to make friends?
2) What are the qualities of the real friend?
3) Can you tell your secrets to your friend?
4) What kind of people do you get on with?