Областная олимпиада 2010/2011 11 класс
ПО ИНОСТРАННЫМ ЯЗЫКАМ
VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR TEST
1. Complete the text with the correct tense forms in active and passive voice.
Mozart was born in 1756 into a family of a professional musician. By the age of three, the young Mozart (1) ________ (learn) to play several pieces of music. It was then that his father (2) ________ (convince) that his offspring (3) ________ (become) a genius. While he and his father (4) ________ (travel) round Europe, Mozart (5) ________ (introduce) to many famous musicians and composers. Before he was 17, he (6) ________ (compose) several operas. While he (7) ________ (visit) the Vatican, he (8) ________ (invite) to listen to a piece of music which, up to that point, (9) ________ (keep) secret. Not a single copy of the piece (10) ________ (publish) before, but Mozart (11) ________ (manage) to write it down from memory after he (12) ________ (listen) to it once. By the age of 30 he (13) ________ (become) one of the most distinguished composers in Europe and (14) ________ (have) a large apartment in Vienna. The apartment is a well-known attraction which (15) ________ (visit) by millions of tourists every year. Most experts (16) ________ (believe) that it was here that he (17) ________ (write) his famous opera The Marriage of Figaro. In 1791, while he (18) ________ (work) on his Requiem he (19) ________ (fall) seriously ill and (20) ________ (die) at the age of 35. Despite his short life he (21) ________ (manage) to create a musical heritage that (22) ________ (appreciated) for over 200 years. His operas are so popular that most probably at least one of them (23) ________ (play) at the very moment while you (24) ________ (read) this text.
2. Complete the text with a / an / the, or leave a blank for zero article.
The Hubble Space Telescope is (1) ______ large, space-based observatory in orbit around (2) ______Earth, named after (3) ______ astronomer Edwin Hubble. (4) ______ position of (5) ______ telescope outside (6) ______Earth’s atmosphere gives it (7) ______number of advantages over telescopes based on (8)__________________ ground. (9)______main advantage is its clearer images, as they are not blurred by (10)____________ atmosphere. It can also observe using (10)________________ ultraviolet light.
The Hubble was launched into (12) ______ space in 1990, and since then it has become one of (13) ______most important instruments in (14) history of (15) ______ astronomy. At (16) moment, (17)______ future of (18) ______ telescope is uncertain. Without servicing by (19) ______ manned space mission, (20) ______ telescope will slowly stop functioning sometime after (21)_________________________ year 2010.
3. Complete the letter with the phrasal verbs from the list below. Put the verbs into the correct tense and form.
How’s life treating you these days? Things haven’t been too good for me lately, I’m afraid. Because of the crisis my company was (1) ________ by UK Confectionary in January and half the work force was made redundant, including me. I have gone to several job interviews since then but I was (2) ________ every time. I think I might have to retrain, but the problem is that I have (3) ________ money now so I can’t afford to pay for a course. I’ve already spent all the money I had put aside to go on holiday. I really hope that something will (4) ________ soon otherwise I don’t know what I’ll do. It’s just so difficult trying to (5) ________ social security.
Anyway, sorry to be so depressing. I just hope I have some better news for you when I next see you. In fact, I was wondering if you’d like to (6) ______ for a weekend soon. It would really (7) ________ me to see you again and I promise I won’t (8) ______ about my problems all the time. Have a think about it and let me know.
Hope to see you soon,
|1)||A taken in||В taken over||С taken out||D taken off|
|2)||A turned over||В turned up||С turned down||D turned on|
|3)||A run out of||В run into||С run over||D run away|
|4)||A turn over||В turn up||С turn down||D turn on|
|5)||A live up to||В live out||С live off||D live in|
|6)||A come in||В come across||С come apart||D come down|
|7)||A cheer up||В give up||С take up||D come up|
|8)||A go on||В go out||С go up||D go off|
4. Read the text below and decide which answer А, В, С or D best fits in each space.
It is difficult to imagine a world without tomatoes. High in the Andes mountains of modern-day Peru, the local inhabitants have been cultivating and eating tomatoes since prehistoric (1) but the food has only become (2) ______ in the rest of the world (3) ______ recently. These days, the bright red fruit (4) ______ an important role in the cooking of many cultures and is a key ingredient in many types of fast food, (5) ______ both taste and colour to dishes that (6) ______ would be rather ordinary.
The tomato (7) ______ to the nightshade family of plants, many members of which are poisonous. When they were first (8)___________________ into North America, therefore, tomatoes were viewed with (9) ______ and people tended to use them as table decorations (10) than as food. In Europe, the tomato was first grown in Italy in 1555, although it wasn’t (11) ______ with pasta until much later. The first recipe for tomato ketchup dates from 1727 and in the 1800s, tomatoes began to be used more (12) in sauces and soups. These days, as well as tasting good, tomatoes are (13) ______ to contain substances which are good for our health.
Nutritionists (14) ______ out, however, that many processed tomato products also contain additives which can (15) the beneficial effects of the fruit.
|1)||A ages||В periods||С times||D||dates|
|2)||A popular||В favourite||С preferred||D||general|
|3)||A effectively||В relatively||С apparently||D||eventually|
|4)||A forms||В meets||С does||D||plays|
|5)||A mixing||В putting||С giving||D||providing|
|6)||A nonetheless||В otherwise||С instead||D||meanwhile|
|7)||A admits||В possesses||С fits||D||belongs|
|8)||A imported||В arrived||С appeared||D||presented|
|9)||A doubt||В threat||С suspicion||D||danger|
|10)||A except||В better||С apart||D||rather|
|11)||A joint||В combined||С added||D||accompanied|
|12)||A greatly||В broadly||С wholly||D||widely|
|13)||A aware||В realised||С known||D||accepted|
|14)||A point||В prove||С mark||D||show|
|15)||A refuse||В shorten||С reduce||D||lower|
5. Fill the gaps with the correct prepositions.
1. Students who do not have a computer are ____ a disadvantage.
2. I think you must be mistaking me ____ someone else.
3. She was insistent_____ maintaining her privacy.
4. I would advise_____ taking this medicine because of serious side effects.
5. I am ____ no obligation to tell you my name!
6. She was treated ____ cuts and bruises.
6. Write a new sentence with the same meaning containing the word in capitals.
1. Before we start playing, we should adjust the net. NEEDS
2. Passengers are forbidden to pass beyond this point. NOT
3. Do you want me to hold your things while you take your shot? SHALL
4. They did the wrong thing by putting so much lemon in the cake. HAVE
5. Can I leave now? BE
6. I think you should see an eye specialist about this. HAD
1. 1) had learned, 2) was convinced, 3) would become, 4) were travelling, 5) was introduced 6) had composed, 7) was visiting, 8) was invited, 9) had been kept, 10) had been published, 11) managed. 12) had listened, 13) had become, 14) had / had had, 15) is visited, 16) believe, 17) wrote, 18) was working, 19) fell, 20) died, 21) managed, 22) has been appreciated, 23) is being played, 24) are reading.
2. 1) a, 2) the, 3) the, 4) the, 5) the, 6) the, 7) a, 8) the, 9) the, 10) the, 11) —, 12) —, 13) the, 14) the, 15) — 16) the, 17) the, 18) the, 19) a, 20) the, 21) the.
3. 1) В taken over, 2) С turned down, 3) A run out of, 4) В turn up, 5) С live off, 6) A come in 7) A cheer up, 8) A go on.
4. 1) С 2) A 3) В 4) D 5) С 6) В 7) D 8) A 9) С 10) D 11) В 12) D 13) С 14) A 15) C.
5. 1) at, 2) for, 3) on, 4) against, 5) under, 6) for.
1. Before we start playing, the net needs to be adjusted.
2. Passengers are not to pass beyond this point. / Passengers must not pass beyond this point. Passengers are not allowed to pass beyond this point.
3. Shall I hold your things while you take your shot?
4. They shouldn’t have put so much lemon in the cake.
5. Would it be OK if I leave now?
6. You had better see an eye specialist about this.
1. Better late than never.
Have you ever felt that you have missed your opportunities?
How do you see yourself in ten years’ time?
If you could change one thing in your past, what would it be?
What things do you usually put off as long as possible?
2. Good name is better than riches.
What is your attitude to money?
Would you rather be rich or famous?
What features of character do you find attractive in other people?
Who do you admire?
3. It takes all sorts to make a world.
Do you get along with your classmates and family members?
What features of character do you admire in people?
What features of character do you find annoying?
Is it easy or difficult for you to work in a team?
4. Lost time is never found again.
How do you usually save time?
What are the most time-consuming activities for you?
What do you usually do in your free time?
How do you usually plan your day?
5. Man is known by the company he keeps.
Describe your best friend.
What kind of person would you never be friends with?
Do you make friends easily?
Do you trust your first impression of a person you meet?
6. No man is wise at all times.
Do you often make mistakes?
What mistake are you most afraid to make?
What do your family members do if you do something seriously wrong?
What is the best way to become wise?
7. There is no place like home.
Describe the house of your dreams.
Have you ever been homesick?
Would you be able to live in another country?
What things can make your home cosy?
8. A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Who is your best friend?
What does it take to be a good friend?
Are your parents your friends?
What common interests do you have with your friends?
9. A change is as good as rest.
What is your idea of a perfect holiday?
Have you ever tried to change your lifestyle?
What is the most tiring activity for you?
What is the most relaxing activity for you?
10. The face is no index to the heart.
Have you ever had to deal with two-faced people?
Who are the people you are always honest with?
Are you good at hiding your emotions?
Do you judge people by appearances?