Study the definitions and do the exercise.
A stream is a small narrow river.
A river is a large natural flow of water that crosses an area of land and goes into an ocean, a lake, etc.
A canal is a long, narrow stretch of water that has been made for boats to travel along or to bring water to a particular area.
flood (countable or uncountable) a large amount of water covering an area that is usually dry.
- There was a small *** at the end of the garden.
- The *** winds its way through the hills.
- There has been an extensive programme of restorations in Venice since the 1966 ***.
- Fishing the smaller rivers and *** gives you the chance to actually watch the fish.
- In order to turn the deserts into fertile and productive land, engineers built an 800-mile ***.
- She hitched her skirt up before wading across the ***.
- Bangladesh has been hit by a series of devastating *** (=very bad ***).
- Several small *** feed into the river near here.
- The town was completely destroyed by ***.
- *** were dug to connect England’s industrial cities with the ocean.
- The Panama *** provides a crucial shipping link between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
- The *** was quite shallow so we were able to walk across it.
- It is important to keep the irrigation *** clear of vegetation.
- He could see the *** winding across the plain.
- Yosemite National Park is restricting access to the Park in order to cope with the *** damage.
- The *** Euphrates rises in Turkey and flows through Syria.
- There’s a lovely *** that flows through their garden.
- The country is still recovering from last year’s devastating ***.
- We want clean *** and lakes, where you can swim without risk to your health.
- The rocks and sandbanks make the *** hard to navigate.
- Immediately after the stile is a lovely little mountain *** crossed by stepping stones.
- The *** had overflowed its banks.
- The crisis began with *** that covered one third of the countryside.
- Changing the course of the *** would cause serious environmental damage to the whole valley.
- They have to dredge the *** regularly to keep it open.
Note: the examples were taken from authentic English dictionaries.
(По материалам учебного пособия Vocabulary for FCE.)