Районная олимпиада 2011/2012 уч. год
Listening Comprehension Test (40 points)
I. Listen to the three people giving advice about visiting their country in the month of January. Complete the chart.
[audio:http://fortee.ru/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Holidays-in-January-10th-Grade.mp3|titles=Holidays in January (10th Grade)]
Holidays in January (10th Grade)
|Clothes to bring
|Things to do/Places to (see) visit
|Special places to go
|Food and drink
II. Answer the questions.
16. Which countries are they talking about?
17. Who talked about sport? Which sport? ___________________________________________________________
18. Who talked about money? What did he (she) say? __________________________________________________
19. Who suggested going on a boat ship? Where? ______________________________________________________
20. Who talked about a cruise down the river? Which river? ______________________________________________
Мною допущено …………………………………………………… исправлений.
1. wonderful (not too hot, not too cold)
2. quite mild (doesn’t often rain)
3. very cold (with lots of snow)
4. a jacket (you don’t need any thick winter clothes)
5. a light coat or a jumper
6. lots of warm clothes, coats and wooly hats, and, if you can, snow boots
7. old, historic buildings; Mayan and Aztec temples
8. museums, especially the museum of Islamic Art; the mosques; the Pyramids
9. old towns which look exactly the same today as they did four hundred years ago; sunbathe
10. go to the coast of Acapulco
11. take a cruise down the Nile
12. go for a boat trip on the lake
13. tacos (a kind of bread filled with meat, beans, and salad); beer; tequila
14. koftas and kebabs, which are made of meat, usually lamb; falafel, which is a kind of ball made of beans mixed with herbs; mint tea
15. fondue (cheese melted in a pot); r?sti, made with potatoes and cream.
16. Mexico, Egypt, Switzerland
17. Karl – skiing
18. Silvia; lots of good cheap hotels and restaurants; you can buy all kinds of pottery and things quite cheaply
19. Karl; on the lake
20. Fatima; the Nile
Районная олимпиада 2011/2012 уч. год
Holidays in January
In January the weather is wonderful. It’s the most perfect time of year, not too hot, not too cold, but the temperature can change a lot in just one day. It can go from quite chilly to very warm, so you should perhaps bring a jacket but you don’t need any thick winter clothes. The capital city is the most populated city in the world and there are lots of things to see and do there. We have lots of very old, historic buildings. We are very proud of our history, with Mayan and Aztec temple. But you should also go to the coast. We have beautiful beaches. Perhaps you’ve heard of Acapulco.
You don’t need a lot of money to enjoy your holiday. There are lots of good cheap hotels and restaurants, and of course, you must visit the markets. You can buy all kinds of pottery and things quite cheaply, and don’t forget out wonderful fruit and vegetables. We have one hundred different kinds of pepper. You should try tacos, which are a kind of bread filled with meat, beans, and salad. And our beer is very good, especially if you add lemon and salt. Or, of course, you can always drink tequila.
It’s usually quite mild in January, and it doesn’t often rain, so you don’t have to bring warm clothes. But you’ll need a light coat or a jumper because it can get cool in the evenings.
There is so much to see and do. We have some wonderful museums, especially the museum of Islamic Art and the mosques are beautiful, but of course what everyone wants to see is the Pyramids. You must visit the pyramids. Go either early in the morning or late in the afternoon, the light is much better then. And if you have time you should take a cruise down the Nile, that’s really interesting, you can visit all sorts of places that are difficult to get to by land.
The best place to try local food is in the city centre. You should try koftas and kebabs, which are made of meat, usually lamb. You should also try falafel, which is a kind of ball made of beans mixed with herbs, it’s fried until it’s crispy. It’s delicious. One of the nicest things to drink is tea, mint tea. It’s especially good if the weather is very hot, it’s really refreshing.
Well, of course in January in my country it can be very cold, with lots of snow everywhere, so you must bring lots of warm clothes, coats and woolly hats, and, if you can, snow boots.
Many people go skiing in the mountains at the weekends and when you are up so high and the sky is blue, the sun can feel really quite hot – warm enough to have lunch outside. You can even sunbathe, so you should bring sun cream! But you don’t have to go skiing, there are lots of other things to do and see. A lot of our towns are very pretty. They look exactly the same today as they did four hundred years ago. And we have beautiful lakes. If the weather’s fine you can go for a boat trip and you can get really wonderful views of the mountains all around, from Lake Geneva you can sometimes see as far as Mont Blanc.
The food you must try is fondue, which is cheese melted in a pot. You put pieces of bread on long forks to get it out. Also you could try r?sti made with potatoes and cream – mmm! They’re both delicious.