Dest B1 Unit 9 Prepositional Phrases and Word Patterns
|Learn prepositional phrases and word patterns||Task 1|
|Remember their meaning||Task 2||En_Ru|
Exercise 1. Fill in the gaps with necessary prepositions.
- We rang Duncan to ask where he was going ___ holiday…
- The flowers are sent all over the country ___ air.
- Most of his belongings will be transported ___ sea.
- There are 12 children ___ board the ship.
- Are you going ___ bicycle or ___ foot?
- The majority of holiday flights depart and arrive ___ schedule.
- A power station, which can operate on coal or oil, is being built ___ the coast near Hadera.
- Susan sat on a chair close ___ the window.
- Marie Curie is famous ___ her contribution to science.
- The children don’t go far ___ home.
- You’ll be late ___ your flight if you don’t hurry up.
- The resort is particularly suitable ___ families.
- We are due to arrive ___ Rome at ten o’clock.
- Some people find it difficult to ask ___ help.
- The men all turned to look ___ her as she entered the room.
- At this time of year, most animals are preparing ___ winter.
- We were waiting ____ the bus for half an hour.
Exercise 2. Translate the words in brackets.
- We met (во время отпуска) in Cyprus.
- I always go to work (на машине).
- A customs officer came (на борт) the ship.
- The bus didn’t come, so we started out (пешком).
- The bus arrived (по расписанию). [=on time; arrived at the time it was expected]
- We had a nice day (на побережье).
- I don’t mind where we go on vacation as long as it’s (близко от) a beach.
- Manchester is (знаменит) its nightlife and for its football teams.
- They were simple people who didn’t go (далеко от) Cornwall.
- The bridegroom was (опоздал на) the ceremony.
- The programme is perfectly (подходящая для ) children of all ages.
- What time does the plane (прибывает в) New York?
- I decided to go to the next house and (попросить) food…
- She stopped the car (посмотреть на) the map.
- The government was not in a position (обеспечить их ) food.
- We don’t have much more time (подготовиться к) their arrival.
- I’m still (жду) my results.