Школьная олимпиада 11 класс Орша 2013/2014
LEXICAL AND GRAMMAR TEST
Fill in the gaps.
Pets in the Family
Perhaps 1) ___ (a/the/ -) British are too good to their pets, but more interesting is 2) ___ (a/the/ -) recent theory among psychologists that pets are very good 3) ___ us. A Dutch psychologist 4) _______ (say) that people may derive more benefit from an animal companion than from a human one.
The basic 5) ______ (mean) of “pet” is an animal we keep for emotional rather than economic reason. A pet animal is really kept as a companion, and we all need companions to feel happy. But pets offer us more than mere 6) ____________ (companion); they invite us to love and 7) __________ (love).
Many owners feel their pets understand them, because animals can easily feel anger and sorrow. Often 8) ______ (a/the/ -) cat or dog can comfort us at times when human words don’t help. We feel loved too, by the way pets depend 9) _____ us for a home, for food and drink. Dogs especially look 10) _____ to their owners, which makes them feel important and needed. It 11) __________ (know) that people who have 12) _________ (emotion) support from their pets suffer fewer 13) __________ (ill) and recover more quickly when they get ill than those who 14) _________ (prefer) to have no pets.
Some people think that dog owners have 15) ______ (a/the/ -) better health because they get more exercise while 16) _________ (walk) their pets. But British psychologists studying people’s 17) ____________ (relation) with their pets believe the effect is 18) ____(deep).
A pet can be something different to each member of the family: another baby 19) ____ the mother, a sister or brother 20) _____ an only child, a grandchild 21) _____ the elderly, but for all of us pets provide pleasure and companionship. It 22) _______ even (suggest) that tiny pets should 23) _______ (send) as companions to astronauts on spaceships, to help reduce the stress and loneliness of space 24) ____ (flight).
25) ______ our Plastic Age, when most of us live in large cities, pets are especially important for children. A pet in the family 26) _________ (keep) people in touch with the more natural, animal world. 27) _______ (see) an animal give birth brings understanding of the naturalness of childbirth. Learning to care 28) _____ a pet helps a child to grow 29) ___into a loving adult who feels responsible towards those people who depend on him. It’s right that we teach children to be good to their pets. They should learn that pets are good 30) _____ us, human beings.
1) the; 2) a; 3) for; 4) says; 5) meaning; 6) companionship; 7) be loved; 8) a; 9) on; 10) up; 11) is known; 12) emotional; 13) illnesses; 14) prefer; 15) a; 16) walking; 17) relationships; 18) deeper; 19) to; 20) to; 21) to; 22) has even been suggested; 23) be sent; 24) flights; 25) In; 26) keeps; 27) Seeing; 28) for; 29) up; 30) for.
Text for Listening
Interviewer: Welcome to «Career Choices». Today in the studio we have make-up artist Petra Daily with us and she is going to tell us all about her job. Welcome Petra.
Petra: Thank you, it’s great to be here.
Interviewer: So, Petra, would you like to tell all our listeners about what your job involves?
Petra: Certainly. Well, I do people’s make-up for different occasions and projects such as professional photographs, fashion shows, TV, films, weddings or advertising campaigns.
Interviewer: What kind of skills does the make-up artist need to have?
Petra: You need to be artistic and have a sense of what colours go well with each other.
Interviewer: What kind of daily routine is there for make-up artists?
Petra: Well, most make-up artists are self-employed and work on a freelance basis and there isn’t really a daily routine because some days are four-hour jobs and other days I can work sixteen hours straight.
Interviewer: Where is make-up usually done? What is your work environment like?
Petra: Well, I can work indoors and out for photo shootings. I visit private homes for weddings and I work in TV studios or on location for TV projects and films. I never sit down when I am working.
Interviewer: Do you earn a lot of money?
Petra: If you have experience and a good reputation in the industry you can earn a lot of money.
Interviewer: Well, it was very interesting. We’ll be right back when Petra will answer caller’s questions.
LISTENING AND COMPREHENTION TEST
1. Complete the sentences according to the text: 1*3=3
1) She is going to tell us all about her:
2) I visit private homes for:
3) Petra will answer _______ questions:
2. Fill in the gaps: 2*6=12
1) I do people’s make-up for different ____________and projects such as professional photographs, __________shows, TV.
2) You need to be artistic and have a _______of what colours go _____with each other.
3) If you have ____________and a good reputation in the __________you can earn a lot of money.
3. Answer the questions: 3*3=9
1) What does Petra’s job involve?
2) What kind of daily routine is there for make-up artists?
3) Where does Petra usually work?
1. 1-c; 2-a; 3-b.
2. 1) occasions, fashion; 2) sense, well; 3) experience, industry.
3. 1) make-up for different occasions and projects; 2) some days are four-hour jobs and other days can be sixteen-hour job; 3) indoors and out.