Dest B1 Unit 15 Phrasal Verbs
Unit 15 Dest B1. Phrasal Verbs
|add up||to put together or count (the number or amount of something) to find the total||cкладывать|
|come back from||return from a place||вернуться из|
|give away||to provide someone with something that you no longer want or need; to make a present of (something)||отдавать, дарить|
|hurry up||to do something more quickly||торопиться, поторапливаться|
|pay back||to return (an amount of money) that someone allowed you to borrow||вернуть деньги|
|save up for||to regularly put money in a bank or invest it so that you can use it later||экономить, копить деньги на что-то|
|take back||to take something that you have bought back to the shops because it is broken or not suitable||вернуть, отнести обратно|
|take down||to remove (something) from the place where it is hanging or standing||снимать (со стены, с полки и т. п.)|
Exercise 1. Find corresponding prepositions and definitions (p. 60 Dest B1).
|Add||back||to put money in a bank so that you can use it later|
|Come||down||to remove (something)|
|Give||up for||to take something back to the shops|
|Hurry||up||to do something more quickly|
|Pay||up||to find the total|
|Save||away||return from a place|
|Take||back||to make a present of (something)|
|Take||back from||to return|
Exercise 2. Fill in the gaps with missing prepositions.
1. Every time I add these figures *** I get a different answer.
2. She wished George would hurry *** with her cup of tea.
3. When is Tom coming *** *** Ireland?
4. He said that he’ll pay the money *** tomorrow.
5. For a limited time only our store is giving *** a free can of soda to each and every one of our customers!
6. If you don’t like the scarf, I can take it ***.
7. She took the books *** from the shelf.
8. I’m saving *** *** a new car.
Exercise 3. Translate the words in brackets.
1. I can (складывать) in my head quite easily.
2. We’ve just (вернулись из) Amsterdam.
3. She (подарила) her best toy.
4. Our prices are so cheap we’re practically (отдаём даром) everything in our store!
5. I once (вернул в магазин) a pair of shoes that fell apart after a week.
6. (Сними) that terrible picture of me.
7. (Поторопись) and finish your soup.
8. She spent all the money I (откладывал на) our trip.
9. I lent him money and he never ( [не] вернул мне долг).
Exercise 4. Fill in the gaps with missing verbs.
1. Let’s *** up all of the money we saved.
2. My mother was scared that if I left home I’d never *** back.
3. Any plants that were left I *** away to neighbours.
4. *** up! We’re going to be late.
5. She has to *** back the $100 she borrowed.
6. If I buy something and he doesn’t like it I’ll *** it back…
7. I need to *** down those curtains and bring them to the dry cleaner’s.
8. I’ve managed to *** almost ?500 for my holiday.
- up 2. up 3. back from 4. back 5. away 6. back 7. down 8. up for
- add up
- come back from
- gave away
- giving away
- took back
- Take down
- Hurry up
- had saved up for
- paid me back