Exercise 1. Fill in the gaps with your active vocabulary from Unit 30 to complete the sentences.
- Nicotine adversely *** the functioning of the heart and arteries…
- There is no *** to how much fresh fruit you can eat in a day…
- Her cancer can only be controlled, not ***.
- How about going out for a *** tonight?
- This wine would be excellent with a *** dish such as ham.
- Try to eat foods that are rich in *** and minerals.
- People are concerned about the quality of the air they ***.
- Be certain to eat slowly and *** your food extremely well…
- The committee *** 11 Democrats and nine Republicans.
- Symptoms include a sore throat and a nasty ***.
- The doctor says I must have an ***.
- Most of us need to lead more balanced lives to be *** and happy…
- He had completely *** her remark, preferring his own theory.
- We use only natural *** in our products.
- For maximum ***, use your treatment every day.
- She was taken to hospital with serious head ***.
- Why do I have to take all these ***?
- I admired the thick *** of plum cake arranged on the plate.
- He continued to *** his tea, as if there might be something in there to stir.
- Many patients are not getting the medical *** they need.
- He went outside to *** some more wood for the fire.
Exercise 2. Fill in the gaps with your active vocabulary from Unit 30 to complete the sentences.
- Apples contain several essential ***.
- He’d been running and he was *** hard.
- Helen was *** a piece of gum.
- Large areas of rainforest are being *** down every day.
- Each book *** ten reading texts followed by short and varied exercises.
- The baby had to have an ***, but he’s fine now.
- A good diet keeps you ***.
- You should check the list of *** on fruit juice cartons.
- My wife and I set a *** on how much we spend on clothes.
- This bacon is too *** for me.
- *** the soup for a few seconds…
- The medicine had a slightly bitter ***.
- The best *** for a cold is to rest and drink lots of fluids.
- *** the sauce gently to prevent burning.
- The pizza *** delicious without any cheese at all.
- The disease *** the central nervous system.
- Feel free to *** those questions that don’t apply to you.
- I took a sleeping *** and tried to go back to sleep.
- Always sterilize the needle to prevent ***.
- The two other passengers escaped serious ***.
- He has to take *** to control his blood pressure.
Exercise 3. Choose one word to suit all three sentences. You may change the form of the word where necessary.
Lack of *** can lead to feelings of depression and exhaustion…
Try to fit some regular *** into your daily routine.
Most people need to do more ***.
The medicines you are currently taking could be affecting your ***.
Try to keep a *** between work and play.
You can’t have a proper work-life *** if you’re in the office for 12 hours a day.
Atkinson has been told rest is the only *** for his ankle injury.
There is still no *** for AIDS.
Many types of cancer can now be ***.
They are trying to stop the spread of the *** virus.
If you are a person at greater risk from ***, consider having a flu vaccine this autumn.
I think I’m getting a cold or *** – I’ve been coughing and sneezing all day.
She sat next to him throughout the ***…
It’s rare that I have an evening *** with my children.
Dinner is the main *** of the day for most people.
After a few days of fever, she began to ***.
It took several months for him to *** from his illness.
Her doctor had told her that she had completely ***.
Try to eat at least four *** of bread a day.
Serve it with thin *** of bread and butter.
He helped himself to another *** of meat.
The stewed apple was *** even with honey.
She always had the same *** expression.
The milk’s gone ***.
Thai food is hot and ***.
Add a little curry powder to give it a *** taste.
This sort of hot and *** food is very typical of the food in the south of the country.
Within a few days she had become seriously ill, *** great pain and discomfort…
At least he died suddenly and didn’t ***.
Craig’s father Robert says his son is still *** from nightmares, and has to see a psychiatrist weekly for counselling.