Dest B1 Unit 33 Vocabulary to practise
Dest B1 Unit 33 Some more practice
Exercise 1. Fill in the gaps using your active vocabulary.
- We visited the *** city of Petra and rode camels.
- My shoes were so *** that I could hardly walk.
- Her nails were painted bright red to *** her dress…
- The social worker can give *** help and advice on all these tasks.
- Choose the right garden *** and you’ll do the job properly.
- The leaves had been swept into huge ***.
- He lay around all afternoon in his brown tweed ***, and even pulled a button off the jacket.
- He was wearing blue jeans and *** shirt.
- The house is not really *** for a large family.
- Lycra shorts will *** to fit you perfectly.
- The small boy was pulling at his mother’s coat ***.
- People *** buildings, bridges, and furniture.
- His *** hand had dirt under the nails.
- My aunt knitted me a blue and white *** sweater for Christmas.
- Some changes have been made to the computer’s basic ***.
- They should be able to find you the best package to *** your needs.
- I’ll need to *** the boat before we can go out in it.
- She *** her napkin, put it carefully through the ring and then left it by her place.
- The portrait was to be sold to a private *** in the United States.
- The white walls and mirrors helped to *** an illusion of space.
- There has been a gradual *** in educational standards.
- She’s lost so much weight, all her clothes are ***.
- A lot of sportswear is made of very elastic ***.
- Did you *** that this road is closed ahead?
- There were balloons of all *** and sizes in the sky.
- These lightweight trousers are made from 100% ***.
- His first job was installing and *** computers.
- She was looking at Mrs. Gotobed’s dress. Pale grey *** with pink ostrich feathers.
- The marble table felt *** and cold against her arm.
- The *** on the wall said ‘No smoking’.
- The rooms are furnished in a modern ***.
- She unwrapped the present carefully, trying not to *** the paper.
- How did you get that *** in your jacket ?
- I like this navy blue silk blouse with a white flowery ***.
Exercise 2. Fill in the gaps with the correct words. Change the word form where necessary.
Employers usually decide within five minutes whether someone is *** for the job…
They were a generation of large, well-nourished, beautiful children with silken hair, *** skin and clear eyes.
Do you prefer plain or *** shirts?
Knowledge without understanding is of little *** use.
There are many castles, churches, abbeys and *** monuments and public gardens to visit.
Here you meet the Garburn Road, a *** trackway which crosses over the pass.
create* design * stretch
They wanted to *** a machine that was both attractive and practical.
Agatha Christie *** the character Hercule Poirot.
Row after row of orange trees *** to the horizon.
design* gallery* improvement
The car’s *** has been greatly improved.
Our results have shown some *** this month.
The painting is in the *** upstairs.
checked* cotton* loose
For summer, fine *** is more comfortable.
Wear *** clothes as they’re more comfortable.
He wore casual country tweeds and *** shirt which was unusual on Old Year’s Night.
maintain* fold* suit
There’s a range of restaurants to *** all tastes.
The house is large and difficult to ***.
He *** his newspaper and handed it to me.
match* notice* fix
Andrew is *** some shelves in the bedroom.
Your socks don’t ***.
Did you *** him leaving the party early?
material* notice* pattern
The company supplies building *** such as bricks and cement.
I’ve been given *** to quit my flat (=I have been told that I must leave by a certain date).
The carpet was old, with strange *** on it.
pile* shape* silk
Her *** blouse is open at the neck, showing two strands of pearls.
His mother came in carrying a *** of ironing in her arms.
You can recognize a tree by the *** of its leaves.
style* suit* tear
Children have different *** of learning: some learn by seeing, some by hearing, some by doing.
I was wearing my tweed ***.
Your shirt has a *** in it.
tight* tool* sleeve
Wear long *** because short sleeves chop up the body line.
Always wear the right clothing for the activity you choose — clothing worn too *** can hinder circulation.
Doctors depend on accurate diagnostic ***.