Exercise 1. Choose the correct variant.
1. The police ordered him to put down/ out the gun.
2. A police officer was killed when his car built/blew up.
3. If you don’t express your feelings, frustration and anger can put/build up.
4. After breakfast they played while I cleared/blew up.
5. Without more coal the fire will soon go/put out.
6. We were told to put/keep out of his office.
7. She put the fire out/down by pouring water on it.
8. I just put up/out new curtains.
Exercise 2. Fill in the missing verbs.
1. He was jailed for 45 years for trying to*** up a plane.
2. I’m tired of always having to *** up after you (= tidy your things).
3. She carefully *** the vase down on the table.
4. I just *** up new curtains.
5. Suddenly the candle *** out.
6. *** the cat out of the bedroom.
7. The rescue services are still trying to *** out the fires.
8. These exercises are good for *** up leg strength.