Dest B1 Unit 36 Vocabulary to practise
Exercise 1. Fill in the gaps with appropriate words.
- Hong Kong is an absolutely *** city.
- The land next to the harbour is perhaps the most threatened *** habitat in Britain.
- Scotland’s *** is too cold for these plants to survive.
- Sometimes I killed a *** animal, and then I had meat to eat.
- This area is ideal for a weekend break in unspoilt ***.
- There was a roll of ***, and the rain started pelting down.
- The government insists that the dam [дамба] will not harm the ***.
- Elephants are a protected *** in Indonesia.
- Dinosaurs have been *** for millions of years.
- The Federal Reserve Bank *** that the economy will grow by 2% this year.
- We don’t know how many *** *** there are in each galaxy.
- His friends pulled him from the *** water.
- More heavy *** are forecast for tonight and for the rest of the week.
- Always clear up after a picnic and never drop *** .
- English is becoming a *** language.
- France was the third country to launch (=send into space) an artificial ***.
- A long summer *** had caused most of the crops to die.
- A lifeboat came to the yachtsman’s ***.
- The bird’s natural diet mainly consists of small ***.
- There was a fashion for keeping *** as pets.
- Suddenly there was a flash of *** and a roll of thunder.
- She died trying to *** her children from the blaze [пламя].
- Shreds of plastic, old iron, glass, animal bones *** both sides of the path.
- They keep their production costs low and help the environment by *** waste material such as newspapers and household plastic bottles.
- As we walked around this pretty little island we were charmed by the friendliness of the *** people.
- If we use energy efficiently, we help *** our environment, and save money, too.
- Whales use low-frequency calls to *** each other.
- The picture shows six of the nine *** in the solar system.
- Humans, dogs, elephants and dolphins are all ***, but birds, fish and crocodiles are not.
- The ceremony has its *** in medieval times.
- It’s a smooth, *** coffee, excellent for finishing off a meal.
- My mother insisted on *** me Horace.
- Experts are *** a recovery in the economy.
Exercise 2. Choose the best of the three words to fill in the gaps.
countryside /amazing/ climate
- She told me an *** story.
- Many people prefer to live where the *** is warm.
- Both the town and the surrounding *** are worth exploring.
insects/ litter/ lightning
- Toads mainly eat small dark flying ***.
- One man died when he was struck by ***…
- People who drop *** can be fined in some cities.
- People need to live in harmony with nature and conserve the ***.
- About a hundred *** are becoming extinct every day.
- The weather *** is better for today.
heatwave /global /freezing
- It’s *** in this house. Can’t I turn on the heating?
- Removing the heat from the atmosphere will have had an effect on the *** climate.
- The demand for water rises sharply during a ***.
- During the flight set your watch immediately to agree with *** time at your destination.
- This luxury hotel is *** a little way out of town, past Reid’s, on the road to Cãmara de Lobos.
- The whale then becomes a fine symbol for Melville because it is for him neither fish nor ***.
recycled /preserve /planets
- Mercury is the smallest of all the ***.
- We must encourage the planting of new trees and *** our existing woodlands.
- Metal, paper and glass can be ***.
rescue /reptiles/ rescued
- Snakes and crocodiles are ***.
- Helicopters *** nearly 20 people from the roof of the burning building…
- Storms delayed the *** of the crash victims.
origin /mild/ named
- His voice was soft and ***.
- Why have you not *** any of your sons after yourself?
- Two thirds of the pupils are of Asian ***.
solar system /showers /satellite
- The moon is a *** of the Earth.
- More heavy *** are forecast for tonight.
- Not long ago I had read that each atom was a sort of ***.
thunder / wildlife /species/ wild
- Many rainforest *** cannot live anywhere else.
- We were woken in the night by ***.
- We found some ** strawberries.
- The region also has one of the largest concentrations of *** in the world.