1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about.
2. The most famous painting of Picasso is Guernica. Read aloud the extract about it.
3. Where did Picasso learn to paint?
4. Picasso worked in different styles. Which styles are mentioned in the article? What are their typical characteristics?
1. The text is about Pablo Picasso, one of the greatest artists of the 20th century. Picasso is famous for his painting style which is called cubism. The text runs about different periods of Picasso’s artistic life and about his famous masterpiece Guernica.
2. Paragraph 6.
In 1936 Civil War broke out in Spain. During this period he painted his masterpiece Guernica. It shows the terrified people of the ancient Spanish town which was bombed during the Civil War. Picasso was shocked by this inhuman act and in his painting he shows people running in the streets and screaming with their mouths wide open. To display his sadness and anger he used only black and white as well as shades of grey.
3. Picasso took his first drawing lessons from his father, who was a drawing teacher. Then he joined an art academy in Barcelona.
4. As the text says, Picasso experimented in many different styles. In his early period he painted life as he saw it. His Blue Period lasted from 1901 to 1904 and is characterised by grey and blue tones. The Rose Period lasted until 1907. It’s the time when Picasso used rose, pink and brown. During his life in Paris he began experimenting with a new style of cubism. Nature in cubism is shown in geometric forms, objects are cut into many flat shapes, which look like a puzzle.