Text 23. Village with history of a city
1. Read the article and say in 2-3 sentences what it is about.
2. The author tells us when Rakov was first mentioned in the chronicles and some facts about the town’s history. Find this extract and read it aloud.
3. What museum is situated in Rakov?
4. Why will it be interesting for people to visit Rakov?
1. The text is about Rakov — a village located 40 km from Minsk. 150 years ago it was a town at the centre of Rakov county, with a castle, governor and constitution. The text presents some facts from the town’s history and tells us about its unusual museum.
Rakov was first mentioned in written chronicles in the 15th century — noted as a placе owned by the great Lithuanian dukes. 150 years later, it became a town at the centre of Rakov county, with a castle, governor and constitution. A famous Belarusian nobleman and composer Michal Oginski also owned Rakov county for some time.
3. A museum and an Art Gallery of Felix Yanushkevich — a complex of several-storey red-brick buildings, constructed in an unusual style — is situated in Rakov.
4. The history of Rakov is so interesting to say nothing of its unusual museum that people will truly enjoy seeing this wonderful place.