Theme: «Music in general, music in Belarus in particular» Aims: to develop pupils’ listening and speaking skills, to foster pupils’ interest in music
By the end of the lesson the pupils will have answered the question about most popular music in the world.
I. Организационно-мотивационный этап
Hello, everybody! I’m sorry for being late but I’ve got too many problems to solve right now.
Why are you standing? You are not at the lesson at school now. You are at the international music lovers’ center. Welcome. Sit down.
Let me introduce myself. I’m Mr. Brown. I’m the principal of this centre. (About the guests) These are my assistants. To tell the truth, they are highly qualified people and they help me in my work.
Now some words about the centre. It was set up 10 years ago. The main aim of the centre is to widen the students’ knowledge of music. The second aim is to give our students a chance of improving or mastering the language.
As far as I know, you’ve come from different countries and English is not your native tongue. So you should observe the rules that we follow here. You must speak English.
Let’s begin our lesson. The theme of our lesson is “Music in general, music in Belarus in particular.” You will speak about music and the things that are closely connected with it. The aims of the lesson are to develop listening and speaking skills by giving brief information about music. At the end of the lesson you should answer the question «Which music is №1 in the world?»
II. Операционно-познавательный этап
Some people say it’s difficult to speak English. But to my mind it is not so. I’ll try to prove my point of view.
I’ve got a list with the names of students but I don’t know who is who. I’ve introduced myself so it’s your turn to introduce yourselves. I’ll call your names, you you are to stand up, greet everyone and wave your hand.
(the teacher calls the pupils’ names, they stand up and wave their hands)
Diana Rai, Portugal
Nastya L, Spain
Kristin I, France
Nastya B. Bulgaria
Niso H, Egypt
Nastya H, Germany
Ivan F, Vietnam
Ilya L, Hungary
2) Now answer my questions. While answering use the prompts. We use here these books. Ex. 1a, 2 p. 132
3) You know the word LIKE. But instead of this word you may use like, love, enjoy, be fond of, be keen on, be into
Do you like music? Which music do you like? Why?
4) Now let’s speak about your relatives. Use the following prompts: He/she thinks, to his/her mind, in his/her opinion Is your dad keen on music? Which music is he keen on? Why?
5) We continue our lesson. If you do something well, you are good at it, if you can’t do, it you are bad at it.
Example: I’m good at playing the piano. I am bad at playing the flute.
6) Now let’s speak about your relatives.
Example: My dad is good at playing the drums but he is bad at playing the accordeon.
7) We continue our lesson. If there is a choice and you like one thing more than the other you should say: I prefer rock to country (because)…
8) What wind instrument do you know? Name them. Keyboard, string?
What about percussion?
9) I’ve learned a lot of things about you and your relatives. Now I think that we need a short rest. You’ll have a good chance to listen to a song. But be attentive. Try to understand what this song is about. I’ll ask some questions.
Do you like the song? What is the song about?
Pupils listen to a song “Lady in red” by Chris de Burgh, then do the test on it.
1. Who is the singer/performer of this song?
a) Selin Dion
b) Chris de Burgh
c) Polina Gagarina
2. What is this song about?
3. How many people are there in the room?
4. What is the lady wearing?
a) a dress
b) a coat
c) a blouse
d) a skirt
5. What colour is the dress?
6. The man and the woman are …
a) watching TV
b) having a chat
d) having a meal
10) Now the second part of our lesson. We are to speak about music in Belarus. To tell the truth I’ve never been to Belarus. Can you give me some information on music in Belarus?
(Checking homework. Pupils’ reports on Belarusian groups and Belarusian singers prepared for the lesson.)
Thank you for your information, which will be very useful in my work.
To make the lesson complete answer the question.
Which music is № 1 in the world? (Pupils’ answers)
III. Рефлексивно-оценочный этап.
Now answer the questions. Was the lesson difficult/easy for you? Were you good at speaking English? Are you fond of such lessons? Why?
Assignment. Think of 10 questions you’d like to ask Chris de Burgh, he will be our guest tomorrow.