Form 8 Unit 4. А New Coat for Anna
Additional materil to Form 8 Unit 4 Money
A New Coat For Anna by Harriet Ziefert
Exercise 1 Choose the correct variant
Anna wanted/needed a new coat but/so they didn’t have any money so/but Anna’s mother decided to give away some of her valuable possession to get Anna a new coat. Anna finally/one day got her new coat.
Exercise 2 Match the words with their definitions
|1. fuzzy||a) a model or guide for something to be made|
|2. card||b) a person who weaves cloth, carpets, or baskets|
|3. untangle something that is knotted||c) the hair that grows on sheep and on some other animals|
|4. lingonberry||d) to cut hair off|
|5. weaver||e) having a covering that feels soft and like fur|
|6. tailor||f) edible red berry, used to make sauces, jams, and preserves|
|7. wool||g) a hard, red, yellow, or green shiny stone that is used in making jewellery|
|8. shear||h) to comb out or brush with a card|
|9. pattern||i) very fine china or dishes|
|10. garnet||j) undo the knots in something|
|11. porcelain||k) a person who cuts and sews clothing|
Exercise 3 Put the sentences into the correct order
|A. Anna needs a new coat.||1. A|
|B. They take the yarn to a weaver.||2.|
|C. After picking up the coat, Anna looks at herself in all the windows as they walk home.||3.|
|D. Anna and her mother invite everyone that helped make Anna’s coat to Christmas dinner.||4.|
|E. Anna and her mother dye the yarn red.||5.|
|F. They go to see a farmer to get wool.||6.|
|G. Anna’s mother has no money and the stores are empty.||7.|
|H. They go to a woman with a spinning wheel to turn the wool into yarn.||8.|
|I. They take the cloth to a tailor and trade a teapot to get the cloth made into a coat.||9.|
|J. Anna’s mother decides to give some things away to get Anna a new coat.||10.|
Exercise 4 Match the family valuables with the things they were traded for
|What things did Anna’s mother trade to get a coat for Anna?|
|Anna and her mom traded a gold watch||to get the cloth made into a coat.|
|They traded a necklace||for the wool.|
|They traded a porcelain teapot||for spinning the wool.|
|They traded a beautiful lamp||to get the yarn woven into cloth.|
Exercise 5 Why / Because
Eg: Why did Anna need a new coat? Because her old one was too small for her.
- Why could Anna’s mother not buy her a coat when the war ended? Because …
- Why did mother decide to give her valuable belongings away? Because/So …
- Why did Anna and her mother go to see a farmer? Because …
- Why did Anna and her mother go to see an old woman that had a spinning wheel? Because ….
- Why did the old woman say to come back when the cherries were ripe? Because ….
- Why did Anna and her mother pick lingonberries? Because …
- Why did Anna and her mother go see the weaver? Because ….
- Why did Anna and her mother go see a tailor? Because ….
- Why did Anna keep looking in the store windows? Because ….
- Why did Anna’s mother invite the farmer, the spinner, the weaver, and the tailor to their Christmas celebration? Because …