Дополнительные материалы по чтению по теме «Money»
Для обучения учащихся 8 класса чтению с полным пониманием содержания предлагаю следующий текст с заданиями к нему. Текст взят из учебного пособия Spotlight 9 стр. 28, упражнения к нему разработаны мной.
It was a warm, sunny afternoon in Epping. Jamie and his two friends, Mark and Sean, were walking happily in the forest, telling stories of their recent holidays.
Suddenly, while they were enjoying their walk, Mark’s foot hit something and he fell over. As he got up, he spotted something sticking out from the ground: the corner of a brown, dusty box. The three curious friends reached excitedly for the box, but it was too deep into the ground, which meant they would have to dig so as to get the box out. However, it was getting dark so they decided to cover the box with leaves and return the next day.
The following afternoon, the boys rushed to the hidden spot in the woods with a small shovel. As soon as they got there, they started digging enthusiastically, and after an hour of exhausting effort, the three finally managed to pull the mysterious box out. Mark opened the box carefully, and what they saw in there took their breath away: dozens and dozens of small, gold coins!
Later, they took the chest to the police and found out that someone had stolen those coins from the local museum and hidden them in the woods. The museum was offering a three-hundred-pound reward to anyone who found them. The three friends were now proud and happy that they had discovered the stolen treasure. But they were also famous, as their story and picture appeared on the front page of the local newspaper!
I. Match the corresponding pairs
|1. recent||a) падать|
|2. to hit||b) заметить, увидеть|
|3. suddenly||c) недавний|
|4. to fall – fell (over)||d) вытащить, попытаться достать|
|5. to spot — spotted||e) рыть|
|6. to stick out||f) ударить, удариться|
|7. to reach for||g) торчать|
|8. to dig||h) вдруг|
II. Choose the correct definitions
|1. rush||a) impatiently|
|2. as soon as||b) surprised them greatly|
|3. enthusiastically||c) to hurry, to go quickly|
|4. exhausting||d) when|
|5. took their breath away||e) making you feel extremely tired|
III. True or false?
- One afternoon the three boys were walking in the forest and telling stories.
- They didn’t like their walk because Mark’s foot hit something and he fell over.
- The corner of a brown, dusty box was sticking out of the ground.
- The boys didn’t take the box with them because it was dark.
- They covered the box with leaves and decided to return the next day.
IV. Choose the correct translation
1) The following afternoon, the boys rushed to the hidden spot in the woods with a small shovel.
a) На следующий день мальчики побежали к спрятанному месту с маленькой лопатой.
b) На следующий день в полдень мальчики поспешили к спрятанному в лесу месту с небольшой лопатой.
2) Later, they took the chest to the police and found out that someone had stolen those coins from the local museum and hidden them in the woods.
a) Позже они отнесли сундук в полицию и выяснили, что кто-то украл эти монеты из местного музея и спрятал в лесу.
b) Позже они отнесли ящик в полицию и узнали, что эти монеты исчезли из музея и были спрятаны в лесу.
V. Answer the questions:
- Where were Jamie and his two friends walking one day?
- Were they enjoying their walk?
- Why did Mark fell over?
- What was sticking out from the ground?
- Why didn’t the boys manage to get the box out at once?
- What did the boys do the next day?
- What was there in the mysterious box?
- Who did the box belong to?
- Why were the three friends proud and happy?
- Did the boys become famous?