18 июля 2011
Study the definitions and do the exercise.
A mountain is a very high area of land with steep sides.
A hill is an area of land that is higher than the land that surrounds it.
A cliff is a high area of land with a very steep side, especially one next to the sea.
A cave is a large hole in the side of a cliff or hill, or one that is under the ground.
- Ben Nevis, in Scotland, is Britain’s highest ***.
- That ***’s far too steep to cycle up.
- Here the coastal *** are low, jutting out into the sea.
- A narrow trail of blood led directly into the ***.
- The track doesn’t go on to the shore, but goes along the top of some low *** above the beach.
- She was crushed in a freak accident in a *** in France.
- They loved to roam the *** of West Virginia
- The *** were steep and dangerous.
- If the *** will not come to Mohammed/Mahomet, Mohammed/Mahomet must go to the ***.
- We trudged up the *** to the stadium.
- She took me by the hand and led me into the ***.
- They went walking and climbing in the ***.
- Their house is on a *** overlooking the sea.
- We fell asleep listening to the surf chisel away at the foot of the *** below.
- A cart was making its way up the ***.
- There was still snow on the *** tops.
- There’s a steep *** ahead.
- After lunch, he and Barnabas walked up the steep *** to Fernbank.
- The birds breed mainly on sea *** and in sea ***.
- The house is surrounded by woods, farmland and gentle ***.
- Standing at the edge of the ***, we watched the waves crash on the shore far below.
- The echoes of his scream sounded in the *** for several seconds.
- The Matterhorn is one of the biggest *** in Europe.
- Are you sure this car can make it up the next ***?
- They were trapped in the *** for nineteen hours.
1. mountain 2. hill 3. cliffs 4. cave 5. cliffs 6. cave 7. hills 8. cliffs 9. mountain/ mountain 10. hill 11. cave 12. mountains 13. hill 14. cliff 15. hill 16. mountain 17. hill 18. hill 19. cliffs/ caves 20. hills 21. cliff 22. cave 23. mountains 24. hill 25. cave
Note: the examples were taken from authentic English dictionaries.
(По материалам учебного пособия Vocabulary for FCE.)