I. Form the correct tense – forms of the verbs in brackets.
Well, I arrived safely but my luggage didn’t! After many enquiries I found out it (1)… (to send) to Finland instead of England! Anyway it finally (2)… (to come) three days ago and other than that, I (3)… (to have) a great time since I (4)… (to arrive).
The people I(5)… (to stay) with are very nice and they (6)… (to show) me all the local tourist sites. I (7)… (to treat) here exactly like one of the family. I (8)… (to share) a room with Penny, the hosts’ daughter, who is my age. Every morning we (9)… (to wake) by her mother with a cup of tea! Fantastic! Yesterday when you phoned me in the morning we (10)… (to serve) breakfast in bed.
II. Choose the right articles or preposition
Several days ago we were invited to the party. Of course, we accepted (1)… invitation. “There is nothing like a party for reviving the low spirits”, I said (2)… my wife when she told me about it.
To be quite frank, I even looked forward to the event. Mrs. Brown is a wonderful hostess, capable (3) … making any party interesting. My wife was, as usual, making (4) … great fuss over every single article of clothing we were to have (5)… . (6)… whole day she had been running (7)… the town looking for some sort of jewelry to match her new blue dress. And naturally she had no time to make a dinner. But I wasn’t much upset anticipating a substantial meal at (8)… Browns.
III. Choose the right word
Kelly is a really difficult person to (1)… on with and many of her classmates don’t want to (2)… friends with her. The way she (3)… down on everyone else really put people off her. I think it’s just the way she’s been (4) … up. You see, she is an (5)… child in a very well-off family, so she’d probably been spoilt.
IV. Choose the right word and write down it in the correct form.
Differ, shy, sympathy, politics, strong, person
Ronald had never wanted to be a (1)… . First of all, he suffered from terrible (2)… and blushed violently when he had to make a speech. He also (3)… with people who refused to vote. After all, what (4)… did it make? Later he learned to (5)… his ties, give a big smile, and read the speech, which had been prepared by his (6) … speechwriter.
V. Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the sentence, using the word given. Don’t change the word given.
1. Could I write a novel. Do you think anyone would publish it? What
___________ a novel? Do you think anyone would publish it?
2. As soon as James put some food in his mouth he realized he’d used the wrong hands. had
______________________ some food in his mouth when he realized he’d used the wrong hands.
3. Sam only took his driving test after a year of having lessons. been
Sam __________________ for a year before he took his driving test.
4. Someone stole my car last night. had
I _________________ last night.
5. He locked the doors in case burglars broken in. fear
He locked the doors_______________ break in.
6. I have never met such a kind person. kindest
He is ______________ ever met.
VI. Read the text below and fill each space with a suitable word.
Regular exercise (1)… as jogging or swimming is good for your heart. It can also give you more energy to enjoy life. (2)… a result of regular exercise, your body gets better at using oxygen. Exercise is also often thought to (3)… easy way of (4)… weight.
VII. Spot one error in each fragment of the sentence.
1. It was1a long2, tired3walk home4.
2. How’s that friend of you1, who moved to London2 some3 five years ago, getting on4?
3. I’m fed up with1the telephone2 today. I’ve had3a dozen of calls4.
4. I always told them1 I will buy a motorbike2when3 I had enough money4.
VIII. Translate into English the words in brackets.
1. You should (гордиться) pride in your work.
2. They enjoy (друг друга) company.
3. Red is hardly likely to (сочетаться) with green.
4. He made (никакого усилия) to contact his parents.
5. He seldom makes the first greeting, (не так ли) ?
6. It doesn’t (делает) any difference now.
Listening Comprehension Test
Business Goes Green!
Many cities around the world today are heavily polluted. Careless manufacturing processes employed by some industries, and lack of consumer demand for environmentally safe products have contributed to the pollution problem. One result is that millions of tons of glass, paper, plastic and metal containers are produced, and these are difficult to dispose of. However, today more and more consumers are choosing “green” goods and demanding that the products they buy are safe for the environment. Before they buy a product, they ask questions like these: “Will this hairspray damage the ozone layer?”, “Can this metal container be recycled or can it only be used once?”
A recent survey showed that two out of five adults now consider the environmental safety of a product before they buy it. This means that companies must now change the way they make and sell their products to make sure that they are “green”, that is, friendly to the environment.
Only a few years ago, it was impossible to find green products in supermarkets, but now there are hundreds. Some supermarket products carry labels to show that the product is “green”. Some companies have made the manufacturing of clean and safe products their main selling point and empathize it in their advertising. The concern for a safer and cleaner environment is making companies rethink how they do business. No longer will the public accept the old attitude of “Buy it, use it, throw it away and forget it.” The public pressure is on, and gradually business is cleaning up its act.
I. Choose the correct answer below.
1. Many people choose green products because they are _____________
a) cheaper b) better made c) environmentally safer
2. Corporations are producing more green products because
a) they have to pay higher taxes b) it costs less c) consumers want to buy them
3. Nowadays _________ shoppers consider the environmental safety of a product before they buy it.
a) all b) many c) no
4. Some companies have made the manufacturing of clean and safe products their main selling point because ______________
a) they want to sell healthy products b) they want to get much more money c) they must change th way of selling their products
II. Complete the sentences according to the text.
1. One result is that ____________are produced.
2. Today more and more consumers _____________________.
3. The consumers demand that the products they buy _____________for the environment.
4. A recent survey showed that _____________now consider the environmental safety of a product before they buy it.
III. Answer the questions.
1. What kind of goods do the consumers choose nowadays and why?
2. What makes companies rethink how they do their business?
3. Why must the companies change the way of selling their products?
4. What do some supermarkets do to show that the product is “green”?
Если вы нашли ошибку, пожалуйста, выделите фрагмент текста и нажмите Ctrl+Enter.