II этап республиканской олимпиады по английскому языку
2012/2013 учебный год
Total: 85 points
I. Complete each space in the text with a word formed from the words in capitals.
Stephen Murray was clearly going through a difficult 1) _____. He had never managed to gain the 2) _____of his teachers at school. He repeated 3) _____ignored to change his attitude or expelled. He was widely considered to be an 4) _____ pupil who was wasting his 5) ____by misbehaving in class. His parents received regular 6) ____ about their son but in spite of their own experience of Stephen’s rebellious 7) _____ it was their 8) _____ for the 9) _____ that the school was as much to blame as Stephen was that arose from time to time. They reacted 10) ____to any suggestion that the boy’s upbringing was in any way 11) _____ for Stephen’s lack of discipline.
II. Complete the second sentences so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given. Do not change the word given.
1. Athough I overslept, I still managed to catch the train. Time Despite _____, I still managed to catch the train.
2. Although his leg was broken, he managed to get out of the car. Fact In spite ______, leg was broken, he managed to get out of the car.
3. In spite of being sixty, Peggy runs five miles a day. Old Although _______, she runs five miles a day.
4. It makes no difference now rich he is, they still don’t like him. How No_____ they still don’t like him.
5. In spite of the fact that he didn’t know French, he went to live in France. Speak Even ____ French, he went to live in France.
6. I used to work in that factory many years ago. Where That’s the factory _____ many years ago.
7. That’s the man who had his car stolen last week. Whose That’s the _____ last week.
8. When the teacher and I had talked about the problem, we decided to change schools. Discussed Having______ teachers, we decided to change schools.
9. I’m, rather busy at the moment — do you mind if I phone you later? Get I’m- rather busy at the moment – can_____ later?
10. You’ll recover from the shock of losing your friend, even if it takes a long time. Get You _____the shock of losing your friend, even if it takes a long time.
III. There are fourteen extra appearances of “the” in the following text. Underline them.
This morning I woke up around ten. I made the cup of coffee, took it into the bedroom and put it on the side my wife sleeps on. I do it on the Saturday and the Sunday mornings. On the other days of the week, we go to the work at different times and I ready for the school which is an old Victorian building on the corner of the Hill Road.
I work in the office in the city centre and I always have the problem finding the parking space. My wife says I am always complaining about the traffic and the pollution, which is true — you see. I grew up in the country, close to the nature and I have never got used to living in the city. I think the only thing I would miss about living in the big city like this is going to the concerts of all kinds. I also like the good food and occasionally we go out and have the dinner in a nice restaurant.
IV. Translate into English the words in brackets.
1. The new building looks (красиво).
2. Are you going to do all the painting (сами)?
3. She was а (счастливый) visitor to get free goods from the shop.
4. All the experts (говорят) the earth is getting warmer.
5. Do they (ожидают) a lot of people at the concert tonight?
6. Take these headphones. (Другие) ones are broken.
7. You have to leave your bags in the cloakroom, (не так ли) ?
8. No (волнительных) things ever happen there.
V. Correct the mistakes.
1. You would better stay in bed today.
2. Mum has stopped to drink fizzy drinks. She is on a diet.
3. This bag is too expensive for me to buy it.
4. Smoking it is dangerous for your health.
5. Would you mind to open the window?
6. I’d love eating a pizza tonight.
7. I stopped at the bakery for to buy some bread.
8. They made me to pay for the broken window.
9. I heard the Taylors to argue.
10. I’d better to ask someone for help.
11. I forgot calling you last night. I’m sorry.
12. He left the shop without to pay for the shirt.
13. You shouldn’t to be rude to your parents.
14. He is enough old to drive a car.
VI. Read the text and add the preposition which best fits each space.
Dear Ms Jones,
I am writing 1) ____reply to your advertisement 2) ____secretaries to work 3)_____ your central offices. I had already heard 4) _____ you from a friend of mine, Jenny Mansfield, who worked 5) _____ you a few years ago 6) _____ the sales department. I would be interested 7) ____applying 8) _____ a full-time post. I am quite experienced 9)____ secretarial work and would have little difficulty 10) ____ the duties the current job involves. I think I am quite skilled 11) _____ word processing. I enclose a reference 12) ___my previous employer and copies 13) ______ my certificates. I would be happy to come for an interview at any time which is convenient for you. I look forward to hearing 14) _____you.
Yours sincerely, Anne
VIII. Read the text and choose one of the answers.
A HECTIC TIME
I know it’s been ages since I wrote to you but I’ve been very busy_____ (1) we decided to move into the country. The house in the village is not quite ready _____(2) but as you can imagine _____ (3) the last few weeks we’ve had to chase up builders and plumbers and we’ve ______ (4) got a long way to go.
It’s been such a long time since we _______(5) work on it I’ve almost forgotten how long it’s been exactly. We must have started it about seven years _____ (6) and we’ve _____ (7) spent a small fortune on it. We are ______(8) living in our rather cramped flat where you _____(9) us a few years ago but it _____ (10) to get unbearable and we ______ (11) to moving out. We are still _______ (12) around from morning _____. (13) night and it’s been particularly hectic _____ (14) the last week.
A every time
В ever since
A have started
С did start
A were visiting
В have visited
С had been visited
В is beginning
A have look forward
В looked forward
С will look forward
D are looking forward
D be rushed
Total: 20 points
I. Choose the right ending of the sentences.
1. The author knew Louise
a) before she married.
b) since her childhood.
c) in her late forties.
2. Her father and mother worshipped her for
a) her kindness and sympathy.
b) her being the only child.
c) some illness.
3. If a party was amusing she could dance
a) till midnight.
b) till five in the morning.
c) only two hours.
4. Tom left her
a) a comfortable fortune and a daughter.
b) debts and a daughter.
c) a daughter and a mother-in-law.
5. Louise felt sad after her husband’s death because
a) her friends left her alone.
b) she was lost without a man to care of her.
c) Iris was left an orphan.
II. Match the two parts of the sentences.
1. Iris was brought up with the knowledge
2. Louise did not look
3. In order to distract her mind she
4. When the war came to an end
5. She was lunching at the Ritz with
a) turned her villa at Monte Carlo into a hospital for recovering officers.
b) Louise settled in London.
c) a tall and very handsome young Frenchman.
d) a day more than twenty-five.
e) that her mother’s health was poor.
III. Arrange the sentences into a logical order.
1. Iris was now grown up and саmе to live with her.
2. Her friends expected her speedily to follow poor Tom to the grave.
3. Tom Maitland promised to do everything in the world for Louise.
4. Her friends asked her why she did not marry again.
5. She allowed George Hobhouse to lead her to the altar.
IV. Answer the questions.
1. What was Louise like when the author first knew her?
2. What illness had she suffered as a child?
3. Why was it considered necessary that she should take the greatest care of herself?
4. Why did Louise outlive her husband?
5. How soon did she remarry?
I knew Louise before she married. She was then a delicate girl with large and melancholy eyes. Her father and mother worshipped her, for some illness, scarlet fever, had left her with a weak heart and she had to take the greatest care of herself. Tom Maitland proposed to her and promised to do everything in the world for Louise. He gave up the games he was so good at because she had a heart attack whenever he proposed to leave her for a day.
I noticed that if a party was amusing she could dance till five in the morning, but if it was dull she felt very poorly and Tom had to take her home early.
Louise outlived her husband. He caught his death of cold one day when they were sailing and Louise needed all the rugs there were to keep her warm. Her friends expected her speedily to follow poor Tom Maitland to the grave. Indeed they already felt dreadfully sorry for Iris, her daughter, who would be left an orphan. They redoubled their attentions towards Louise. They would not let her stir a finger; they insisted on doing everything in the world to save her trouble. Her friends asked why she did not marry again. Oh, with her heart it was out of the question, who would want to be bothered with a wretched invalid like herself? But a year after Tom’s death she allowed George Hobhouse to lead her to the altar.
He was a soldier and an ambitious one, but he resigned his commission. Louise’s health forced him to throw up his career.
For the next two or three years Louise managed notwithstanding her weak heart, to go beautifully dressed to all the most lively parties, to dance and even to flirt with tall slim young men.
But very fortunately (for her) the war broke out. George Hobhouse rejoined his regiment and three months later he was killed. It was a great shock to Louise. In order to distract her mind she turned her villa at Monte Carlo into a hospital for recovering officers. It didn’t kill her. I met her by chance in Paris. She was lunching at the Ritz with a tall and very handsome young Frenchman. She explained that she was there on business connected with the hospital. She told me that the officers were too charming to her.
When the war came to an end Louise settled in London. She was a woman of over forty, but she did not look a day more than twenty-five. Iris, who had been at school was now grown up, came to live with her. Iris was a nice girl. She had been brought up with the knowledge that her mother’s health was poor. It was a happiness for her to do what she could for her poor dear mother. Iris said, “Poor dear mother, she wants me to go and stay with friends and go to parties, but the moment I start off somewhere she has one of her heart attacks, so I much prefer to stay at home.”
This morning I woke up around ten. I made the cup of coffee, took it into the bedroom and put it on the side my wife sleeps on. I do it on the Saturday and the Sunday mornings. On the other days of the week, we go to the work at different times and I ready for the school which is an old Victorian building on the comer of the Hill Road.
I work in the office in the city centre and I always have the problem finding the parking space. My wife says I am always complaining about the traffic and the pollution, which is true-you see. I grew up in the country, close to the nature and I have never got used to living in the city. I think the only thing I would miss about living in the big city like this is going to the concerts of all kinds. I also like the good food and occasionally we go out and have the dinner in a nice restaurant.
1. Had better
6. to eat
8. to play
9. to argue
10. to ask
11. to call
13. to be
14. old enough
Keys to Listening Comprehension Test
Form XI Total points: 20
I. la, 2c, 3b, 4a, 5b
II. le, 2d, 3a, 4b. 5c
III. 3, 2, 4, 5, 1
1. Louise was a delicate girl with large and melancholy eyes.
2. It was scarlet fever that had left her with a weak heart
3. She had a weak heart.
4. Her husband caught his death of cold one day when they were sailing and Louise needed all the rugs there were to keep her warm.
5. She married again in a year after Tom’s death.
Communicative Skill Assessment Form XI
1. The more I see of other countries the more I love my own.
1. What places do you think are most beautiful in Belarus that you would like to show foreigners first of all?
2. Do you know your country well? Have travelled a lot in Belarus?
3. What places in Belarus remind you of outstanding people of the country?
4. Name some monuments of world national heritage.
2. A sound mind in a sound body.
1. Do you believe this proverb? Why?
2. Are you fond of keeping fit or going in for sports?
3. What’s your favourite kind of sports?
4. Do you attend any fitness centres or gyms?
3. A person you know is planning to move to Gomel. What do you think this person would like or dislike about living in Gomel?
1. What do you admire your native city for?
2. What is the dearest place in your city to you?
3. Do you know any famous people who lived or live in your city?
4. Would you like to live the whole life in your home city?
4. In some countries people are no longer allowed to smoke in many public places and office buildings. Do you think it’s a good or a bad law?
1. Why do people start and continue smoking if they know about the risks?
2. Is smoking glamourised on TV by advertisements?
3. What consequences may smoking result in? Are they necessarily bad ones?
4. Is smoking a vital problem in Belarus?
5. English is everywhere.
1. For some people English is a formal, literary or technical language, for others it is an international language for communication. What is English personally for you?
2. Is it easy to master a foreign language?
3. Why are foreign languages so important nowadays?
4. Will English help you in your life?
6. Reading. My favourite writer.
1. Reading has become a useless pastime with the invention of a computer. Do you agree?
2. Some books are to be chewed, others are to be swallowed, but only some are to be digested. What’s your opinion?
3. What knowledge is more important: gained from experience or gained from books?
4. People should read only those books that are about real events, real people and facts. What do you think?
7. When people succeed, it is due to hard work, luck has nothing to do with success.
1. What three wishes of yours would you ask a fairy to make true?
2. What is necessary to be successful in life?
3. Do you agree that only people who earn a lot of money are successful?
4. Do you enjoy spending money?
8. Every nation’s art reflect its spirit, its life, its past and present and its hopes for the future.
1. Works of art and their creators are timeless values. What would you say about famous Belarusian artistic personalities?
2. What’s your favourite work of art?
3. Are you fond of graffiti? Should it be allowed or banned?
4. Are you for or against abstract art?
9. An early riser is sure to be in luck.
1. Is it important to plan your day?
2. Do you always do things in time or do you leave them till the last time?
3. Are you a lark or an owl?
4. Does it take you long to do your homework?
10. When a friend asks there is no tomorrow.
1. Do you remember any difficult situation that your friend helped you to overcome?
2. What’s your best friend like?
3. Do you choose friends?
4. What features do you value most in friends?
11. Treat the Earth well: it was not given to you by your parents but it was loaned to you by your children.
1. There’s great wisdom in this proverb, isn’t there?
2. Can you give advice on how to become more environment-friendly?
3. The worst danger concerns the ecological balance. Explain why environmental concerns are becoming more pressing.
4. People have created enormous problems on our planet. What should we do next: colonise other planets or protect the one we live on?
12. It is tempting to see the world when you are young.
1. “It is no use travelling abroad because one can see everything on TV.” Do you agree with the statement?
2. There are a lot of means of travelling. Which one do you usually choose?
3. Have you ever tried a package tour?
4. If you have an experience of staying abroad, talk about the problems you have had.
13. Knowledge is power.
1. Is knowledge power-creative or destructive?
2. Human inventiveness has its limits. Hardly any more inventions will be made in the near future: agree or disagree.
3. Some people say that computers have made life easier and more convenient, other people say that computers have made life more complex and stressful/ What’s your opinion?
4. Are you a computer addict?
14. Is school a joy or a burden for you?
1. School helps us to understand ourselves better and find our place in the world, doesn’t it?
2. Does success in studying depend on how clever you are or on organization of time? Have you learnt to manage your study time?
3. Why do you want to get a higher education?
4. Does the system of education in Belarus need to be reformed?
15. Everything starts in a family.
1. Do you agree with the statement?
2. What are the relations among different generations in a family?
3. Do you spend much time together with your family?
4. What is the role of family in the life of a person?
5. Each family has its values and pride. What about your family?
16. When two Englishmen meet their first talk is about weather.
1. Why do Englishmen speak so much about the weather?
2. What is the climate like in Great Britain?
3. Is the climate of Belarus different from that in Great Britain?
4. Do you like when it rains in winter?
17. So many countries, so many customs.
1. What are your favourite Belarusian traditions and holidays?
2. Do you know any Belarusian food habits?
3. What tradition would you like your foreign guests to get acquainted to and why?
4. How important is it to preserve national cultural traditions and customs?
5. Say about the contribution of Belarus to world culture.
18. An Englishman’s house is his castle.
1. What is an ideal home for you?
2. What is your house like?
3. What are the most important things for you about your home?
4. What are your household chores?
5. What is your dream: to live in a house or in a flat?
19. Youth and society.
1. Is it easy to be young in our country?
2. Does our youth face the same problems as young people in other countries?
3. What do you think is the most urgent social problem now?
4. What youth organizations would you like to take part in?
5. Can young people do anything for the society in which they live?
20. Self-conquest is the greatest of victories.
1. Is it hard to win your own self? Why?
2. If you want to succeed in life, will you start with your own character?
3. Are you an easy-going person?
4. Can you keep your temper under control?
5. Can you laugh at yourself?
6. Are you capable of overcoming all of your ill habits?
Если вы нашли ошибку, пожалуйста, выделите фрагмент текста и нажмите Ctrl+Enter.