Additional practice material on prepositional phrases and word patters to p.24 Destination B1 Learning and Doing.
|Remember the usage of prepositions
||p. 24 Destination B1
|Remember the meaning of phrases and word patterns
||с английского на русский
||с русского на английский
Exercise 1. Fill in the missing prepositions.
- He learned the speech — heart.
- Lack of insurance is a problem for a lot of older people, like my grandmother, — instance.
- — conclusion, I would like to thank our guest speaker.
- They know each other; — fact, they’re close friends.
- I am all — favour — trying to find ways to save money.
- — general, men are taller than women.
- I don’t think he’s capable — murder.
- He is also very talented — languages.
- Kids have always found ways of cheating — school exams.
- I can’t see how anyone could confuse you — another!
- He was permitted to continue — his work while in prison.
- She feared she wouldn’t be able to cope — two new babies.
- Now that I’m working, the kids need to give me more help — the housework.
- I don’t know anything — this.
- Few people learn — politics through direct experience.
- Very few people succeed — losing weight and keeping it off.
- Do you have any opinion — what food we should buy?
- What’s your opinion — Cathy?
Exercise 2. Translate the words in brackets. Remember: more than one word is to be used.
- My father can still recite the poems he learned off (наизусть) at school.
- In the electronics industry, (например), 5000 jobs are being lost.
- (В заключение), I would like to thank you for inviting me to speak tonight.
- He looks younger, but he is (в действительности) almost 60 years old.
- Manchester was rejected (в пользу) Liverpool as the site for the new stadium.
- I’m perfectly (способен) looking after myself, thank you!
- He had (обманывал) the test by using a calculator.
- (В общем), I like the way things have gone.
- I always (путаю) you ___your sister – you look so alike.
- My teacher advised me (продолжить) my studies.
- Local authorities have to (справиться) the problems of homelessness.
- Do you want any (помощь) the washing up?
- Do you (разбираешься) computers?
- As students we wanted to (узнать) Mandela and how the land was taken from black farmers.
- I have (удалось) persuading him.
- A lot of people doubted that I could (преуспеть) business for myself.
- People didn’t usually ask his (мнение) anything.
- She has rather a low (мнение) young people.
General Revision of Units 3-6
Hot Potatoes exercises
Если вы нашли ошибку, пожалуйста, выделите фрагмент текста и нажмите Ctrl+Enter.