||alone or without help from anyone else
|in common with
||in the same way as someone or something else
|in contact with
||if you are in contact with someone, you regularly meet them or communicate with them
|in love with
||влюблённый (в кого-л.)
||intentionally; намеренно умышленно
|on your own
||without being helped by anyone or anything/ alone
|to be fond of
||любить кого-л., что-л.
|be jealous of
|to be kind to smb
||а) хорошо относиться к кому-л., хорошо обращаться с кем-л.; б) быть добрым /любезным/ с кем-л
|be married to
||быть женатым на/быть замужем за
|be proud of
|to admire smb. for
||восхищаться кем-л. за что-либо
|apologise to sb for
||извиняться перед кем-то за что-то
|to argue with smb. about smth
||спорить с кем-л. о чём-л
||заботиться (о ком-л., о чём-л.)
|сhat to smb about
||непринуждённо разговаривать с кем-либо о чём-либо
|аn argument with smb about
||спор с кем-либо о чём-либо
||отношения с кем-л
Exercise 1. Fill in the gaps with necessary prepositions.
- You shouldn’t lift that heavy box (all) ___ yourself. Let me help you.
- The oboe and the clarinet have got certain features ___ common…
- He’s been ___ contact with his lawyer about the situation.
- I fell ___ love with him because of his kind nature…
- Was it an accident or did David do it ___ purpose?
- No one had to tell me; I found out ___ my own.
- She was especially fond ___ a little girl named Betsy.
- She was jealous ___ his wealth…
- They’ve been very kind ___ me.
- She is married ___ an Englishman.
- Her parents are very proud ___ her.
- All those who knew him will admire him ___ his work.
- I apologize ____ losing my temper.
- He was arguing ___ the King ___ the need to maintain the cavalry at full strength…
- The only thing he seems to care ___ is money.
- They may sit down at a table to chat ___ a friend.
- The children had an argument ___ what game to play.
- I have quite a good relationship ___ my parents.
Exercise 2. Translate the words in brackets.
- You can’t go home (один) in the dark.
- He had very little (общего c) his sister.
- Where can I get (связаться c) you while you are away?
- Karen was (влюбилась в) a man who was much older than her.
- They think the fire was started (намеренно).
- He’s still too weak to stand (самостоятельно).
- They can’t survive (без посторонней помощи) in the wilderness.
- She is (любит) collecting rare carpets.
- Sharon had always been (завидовала) her sister’s long blonde hair.
- They were very (добры к) us and let us stay in their house as long as we liked.
- Nicole is (замужем за) my brother.
- Your family must be very (гордиться) you.
- She (восхищалась им за) the way he dealt with the situation.
- I must (извиниться перед…за) Isobel my lateness.
- They were (спорили о) how to spend the money.
- I’m very lucky to have a husband, family and friends who (беспокоятся о) me.
- To take Fodor’s nice example, imagine that you are (разговариваешь с) an old friend.
- We had (спор о) what we should buy.
- Laura had a very close (отношения с) her grandmother.