Use these materials as a help box.
Fill in the gaps with necessary words to make the sentences complete. Check yourself with the keys.
- *** means existing in or belonging to the area where you live, or to the area that you are talking about.
- If you *** something, you take action to save it or protect it from damage or decay.
- You can refer to the beginning, cause, or source of something as its *** or ***.
- The *** of a place is the general weather conditions that are typical of it.
- A *** is a large, round object in space that moves around a star. The Earth is a planet.
- *** is the loud noise that you hear from the sky after a flash of lightning, especially during a storm.
- A species of animal or plant that is *** no longer has any living members, either in the world or in a particular place.
- You say that something is *** when it is very surprising and makes you feel pleasure, approval, or wonder.
- A *** is a statement of what is expected to happen in the future, especially in relation to a particular event or situation.
- A *** is an object which has been sent into space in order to collect information or to be part of a communications system.
- You can use *** to describe something that happens in all parts of the world or affects all parts of the world.
- *** is help which gets someone out of a dangerous or unpleasant situation.
- The *** is land which is away from towns and cities.
- A *** is a period of time during which the weather is much hotter than usual.
- An *** is a small animal that has six legs. Most *** have wings. Ants, flies, butterflies, and beetles are all ***.
- *** are a group of cold-blooded animals which have skins covered with small hard plates called scales and lay eggs. Snakes, lizards, and crocodiles are ***.
- If you *** someone, you get them out of a dangerous or unpleasant situation.
- *** is rubbish that is left lying around outside.
- If you *** something in a particular place, you put it there or build it there. (FORMAL)
- *** are animals such as humans, dogs, lions, and whales. In general, female *** give birth to babies rather than laying eggs, and feed their young with milk.
- The *** is the natural world of land, sea, air, plants, and animals.
- If a number of things *** a place, they are scattered untidily around it or over it.
- If you *** future events, you say what you think is going to happen in the future.
- *** animals or plants live or grow in natural surroundings and are not looked after by people.
- If you say that something is *** or *** cold, you are emphasizing that it is very cold.
- *** is used to describe something such as a feeling, attitude, or illness that is not very strong or severe.
- When you *** someone or something, you give them a name, usually at the beginning of their life.
- If you *** things that have already been used, such as bottles or sheets of paper, you process them so that they can be used again.
- A *** is a short period of rain, especially light rain.
- The *** *** is the sun and all the planets that go round it.
- A *** is a class of plants or animals whose members have the same main characteristics and are able to breed with each other.
- *** is the very bright flashes of light in the sky that happen during thunderstorms.
- You can use *** to refer to the animals and other living things that live in the wild.
Note: Упражнение составлено на примерах из словаря Collins COBUILD 5 (En-En).
Если вы нашли ошибку, пожалуйста, выделите фрагмент текста и нажмите Ctrl+Enter.