Exercises to Card 3
I. Reading “My ideal school?”
1. Find in the text English equivalents:
Средняя школа, общественный, большая библиотека, класс, шаблон, детство, бескорыстное отношение, наполненный знаниями, заботливые учителя, получать хорошие результаты, задавать вопросы, узнавать больше, находить ответы, доверять и уважать, противоположное, развивать творчество, самостоятельно, становиться пассивными, имеет право, хорошо организованная.
2. Translate into Russian:
A safe haven, educational experience, laughter, as well as, quite unlike, recreational facilities, active learning, forced to learn, from firsthand experience, valuable time, instead of, an empty pot, freedom, learn from mistakes, the world go around, mo re than, teach differences, seek knowledge, to be free and choose, what not to be you have to fit.
3. Say if sentences are TRUE or FALSE:
- Angela’s ideal school should be a place you hate going to.
- A school should always have a soul.
- There is a large library and many classrooms in Tanya’s ideal school.
- School is the place where we spend most of our valuable time – childhood.
- Some teachers do everything only for results according to Anna’s point of view.
- Schools are helping the students as individuals.
- Young people don’t learn from their own mistakes.
- Differences make the world go around.
- Schools shouldn’t develop creativity and dreams.
- Everybody has the right to be free and choose what to be and what not to be.
4. Answer the questions according to the text:
- What is the ideal school according to Angela’s opinion?
- What does the ideal school consist of according to Tanya’s point of view?
- What idea is the school built on?
- Where do we spend most of our valuable time?
- What do children want to change at school?
- What does Ann compare young people to?
- What makes the world go around?
- Where do young people learn from?
- What should school develop?
- Why do people become passive?
5. Match the words of the two columns to make up the word combinations used in the text and translate them into Russian:
|1. ideal||a. experience|
|2. locked||b. the corridors|
|3. full of||c. life|
|4. encouraging||d. attending|
|5. teach||e. boxes|
|6. Maths||f. school|
|7. enjoy||g. teachers|
|8. life||h. rules|
|9. systematic||i. potential|
|10. through||j. differences|
6. Give the equivalents from the text that mean the same:
|empty, library, young, school , ideal, creativity, mistake, attend, spend, learn|
- a place where children go to be educated;
- to go to an event, place;
- perfect or the best possible;
- a building, room or organization that has a collection of books, for people to read or borrow;
- to use time doing something or being somewhere;
- not containing any things or people;
- to get knowledge or skill in a new subject or activity;
- having lived or existed for only a short time and not old;
- an action or judgment that produces unwanted or intentional result;
- the ability to produce original and unusual ideas or make something new or imaginative.
Listen to the conversation and answer the questions below.
I. Choose the right answer:
1.Pete has been in the hotel:
a) for a month
b) for a week
c) for two days
2. The breakfast is……..
a) very early in the morning
b) very expensive
c) very tasty
3. Pete couldn’t sleep at all because…..
a) he came home late
b) he didn’t hear the alarm-clock
c) his roommate snored
4. The………….in the room doesn’t seem to be working.
5. The person on reception sent…… to Pete’s room.
a) a doctor
b) a shop assistant
c) an engineer
II. TRUE or FALSE:
- The conversation is between Pete and Liz.
- Pete has been in London since last week.
- Pete’s roommate was listening to music all the night.
- The heating doesn’t always work.
- To fix the heating Pete called the plumber.
III. Fill in the missing words
- Have you been in __________________long?
- The _____________doesn‘t always work.
- Pete ___________and ___________________the breakfast.
- Another ____________in this room __________________.
- The person on reception sent the ___________ to ___________the heating.
IV. Answer the questions:
- Where did Pete live in London?
- What was wrong with the heating?
- What time is the breakfast in the hotel?
- Why did Pete oversleep?
- Who will help Pete to fix the heating?
1.Translate the words into Russian:
Environment, pollution, global warming, acid rains, deforestation, ozone depletion, overpopulation, human’s activity, green house effect, immediate help.
2.Find pairs of antonyms to the words:
|1. life||a. enter|
|2. ancient||b. satisfaction|
|3. disappear||c. threat|
|4. help||d. neglect|
|5. hunger||e. unsociable|
|6. natural||f. waste|
|7. friendly||g. modern|
|8. provide||h. artificial|
|9. understand||i. death|
|10. protection||j. harm|
3. Find pairs of synonyms to the words:
|1. surround||a. breath|
|2. nature||b. load|
|3. population||c. ceremony|
|4. shortage||d. exist|
|5. air||e. dwelling|
|6. fill||f. circle|
|7. event||g. lack|
|8. behave||h. environment|
|9. habitat||i. people|
|10. live||j. react|
4. Find corresponding words to definitions:
|like, cut down, sea, zoo, protect, air, environment, care, hunger, fragile|
- the air, water and land in or on which people, animals and plants live;
- the mixture of gases that surrounds the earth and that we breathe;
- the salty water that covers a large part of the surface of the earth, smaller than an ocean;
- to reduce the amount or number of something;
- the feeling you have when you need to eat;
- an area in which animals especially wild are kept so that people can go and look at them or study them;
- easily damaged, broken or harmed;
- to be alive or have life;
- the process of protecting someone or something and providing what that person or thing needs;
- to keep someone or something safe from injury, damage or loss.
5. Fill in the missing words:
- _____________is everything what surrounds us and affect our life.
- Our seas are _________ industrial and nuclear chemicals.
- The world’s ________________is growing very fast.
- Animals live as close as to the natural _____________as possible.
- It is important to raise people’s environmental ___________________.
6. Translate the words in brackets:
- Our forests disappear because they are (вырубаются) and (сжигаются).
- They are the result of (человеческой)
- People (заботятся) of animals in zoos.
- A lot of people suffer from poor health because of (загрязнения).
- Factories emit tons of (вредных) chemicals.
Thanks a lot)