Exercises to card 6
I. Reading “CHRISTMAS TREE”
I. Find in the text English equivalents:
Марка, собрались, не получил отпуск, до моего возвращения, глубокая печаль, ответственный за обслуживание, Вторая мировая война, оптимист, к середине января, украшения, каждый день, сосновые иголки, шары (елочные игрушки), полны мыслей, увидеть его снова, был близко, сотня миль, открыл свои подарки, опрокинулась, разбитые игрушки.
II.Translate into Russian:
Who it was from, excitedly, all of you, my heart sank, airplanes, make sure, no easy feat, as pretty as possible, low to the ground, wooden floor, a sliding board, sweeping them up, would stay on, freshened up, even though, a big hug, a crash, what had happened, good laugh, fortunate.
III. Say if sentences are TRUE or FALSE:
- Just before Easter in 1946, a letter arrived at the house in Philadelphia.
- The family knew who the letter was from.
- Clifton was one of the mechanics and was responsible for maintaining the airplanes.
- Clifton didn’t get the leave for Christmas.
- Clifton asked his family to leave the Christmas tree until July.
- It was not easy feat to keep Christmas tree looking as pretty as possible.
- By mid-January the braches looked green and fresh.
- Each day there were brand new pine needles all over the wooden floor.
- Clifton came back on March 8.
- The tree had toppled onto the sofa the day Clifton returned home.
IV.Answer the questions according to the text:
- When did a letter arrive at the house in Philadelphia?
- Where was the postmark from?
- Who was the letter from?
- What did Clifton ask his family?
- What was Clifton responsible for?
- When did the branches drop to the ground?
- What did the girls do hoping to stay the branches on?
- When did Clifton come back?
- What did the family hear in the living-room?
- What had happened to the tree during that night?
V. Match the words of the two columns to make up the word combinations used in the text and translate them into Russian:
|1. wooden||a. maintaining|
|2. deep||b. board|
|3. good||c. ornaments|
|4. stronger||d. feat|
|5. broken||e. hug|
|6. easy||f. tree|
|7. responsible for||g. floor|
|8. Christmas||h. branches|
|9. big||i. sadness|
|10. sliding||j. laugh|
VI. Give the equivalents from the text that mean the same:
airman sweep needle laugh hug
postmark letter miss topple optimist
- to hold someone close to your body with your arms ( usually to show that you like, love or value them);
- an official mark put on a letter or parcel (typically showing the place that it was sent from and the time or date that it was sent;
- a written message from one person to another, usually put in an envelope and sent by post;
- to feel sad that a person or thing is not present;
- a member of the British or US air force with a low rank;
- a thin, hard, pointed leaf of a pine tree;
- to clean especially a floor by using a brush to collect the dirt into one place from which it can be removed;
- someone who always believed that good things will happen;
- to lose balance and fall down;
- an enjoyable or funny activity.
Listen to the conversation and answer the questions below.
I. Choose the right answer:
1.The first speaker can’t go out as a family because ….:
a) he has his homework to do
b) he has to cook dinner
c) he has a lot of housework
2. The first speaker wishes he could see the day ……..
a) he doesn’t go to work
b) there is no homework
c) he can watch TV
3. In high school the second speaker usually…..
a) missed his classes
b) had to read a lot
c) copied homework
4.The second speaker can’t do his homework properly because …………..
a) he has no any time
b) he has huge amount of it
c) he hasn’t the Internet access
5. You don’t understand that homework……
a) is very useful
b) develops a sense of logic
c) develops your creative thinking
II. TRUE or FALSE:
- Homework puts the first speaker in a bad mood.
- According to the first speaker everybody likes to help him with his homework.
- The second speaker graduated and got into a really good college.
- The second speaker always parties and goes out.
- According to the third speaker homework enhances your personality.
III. Fill in the missing words
- Homework _________ my family.
- In ________ _________ I did very little homework, ________ right before _________.
- __________ that I haven’t got used to doing ___________.
- Homework develops a sense of _________.
- It makes us more ___________ and ready for further working _________.
IV. Answer the questions:
- Who likes to help the first speaker with his homework?
- What does the first speaker want when he gets home?
- How did the second speaker do his homework in high school?
- How much homework did the second speaker have at college?
- What does homework develop according to the third speaker?
I. Translate the words into Russian:
Scientific inventions, keep in touch, modern gadgets, unthinkable, communication, to a great extent, era of bullock cart, daily routine, research work, necessary functions.
II. Find pairs of antonyms to the words:
|1. modern||a. stillness|
|2. understand||b. insecure|
|3. problem||c. lose|
|4. important||d. complex|
|5. access||e. old|
|6. motion||f. solution|
|7. powerful||g. little|
|8. safe||h. weak|
|9. much||i. outlet|
|10. easy||j. unnecessary|
III. Find pairs of synonyms to the words:
|1. science||a. public|
|2. buy||b. reside|
|3. people||c. clever|
|4. crazy||d. automobile|
|5. live||e. device|
|6. achievement||f. discipline|
|7. smart||g. turn|
|8. vehicle||h. mad|
|9. appliance||i. creation|
|10. change||j. purchase|
IV. Find corresponding words to definitions:
computer Internet transform technology achievement
science electricity impossible device necessity
- systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation;
- knowledge, equipment and methods that are used in science and industry;
- a type of energy that can produce light and heat or make machines work;
- success in doing something good usually by working hard;
- an electronic machine that can store and arrange large amounts of information;
- very difficult to deal with;
- to change something completely, usually to improve it;
- a piece of equipment that is used for a particular purpose;
- the need for something;
- the system that connects all over the world and allows people who use computers to look at websites.
V. Fill in the missing words:
- We live in the age of _______ and _________.
- Modern ______ have been introduced to every walk of ______.
- The mobiles have _____ a wonderful islands of _______ and ________.
- What devices do you use in your _______ ________.
- Some people ______ without it.
VI. Translate the words in brackets:
- The life of every one of us highly (зависит) the (научных изобретений) and (современных технологий).
- (Благодаря) the new technologies people are communicating more than ever before.
- Science has changed the life of people (в значительной степени).
- It is (влияет на) and every day (входит в) our flats.
- All these (высокотехнологичные) devices make our life (безопаснее), (легче) and more convenient.