24 сентября 2018
Card 18 Reading. The Most Mystique Picture
READING Text 9 page 15
THE MOST MYSTIQUE PICTURE
1. Find in the text English equivalents:
|1. с особой целью|
|2. одна конкретная картина|
|3. брал её везде с собой|
|4. изначально была заказана|
|5. оставить картину себе|
|6. написанной всего через пару лет после смерти Леонардо да Винчи|
|7. избежать грусти|
|8. кажется скорее божественной, нежели человеческой|
|9. также подчёркивают|
|10. кажется, что она меняется перед глазами|
|11. смотрит свысока|
|12. возможно поэтому|
|13. таким образом|
|14. скорее как произведение искусства, чем туристическую достопримечательность|
2. Translate into Russian:
|1. walk back to|
|2. about three or four years later|
|3. adds to the Mona Lisa’s mystique|
|4. has fascinated everyone|
|5. employed singers and musicians|
|6. modern art critics|
|7. She is like a living person|
|8. All this sounds rather mysterious|
|9. a magnificent work of art|
|10. mouse pads|
|11. placed the painting|
3. Match the words of the two columns to make up the word combinations used in the text and translate them into Russian:
|1. who has ever seen||a) alive and real|
|2. to keep her||b) happy|
|3. the portrait seems||c) of a great work of art|
|4. we can experience||d) in her smile|
|5. detect sadness||e) area|
|6. the effect||f) the painting|
|7. part of||g) this strange effect|
|8. a specially built||h) modern popular culture|
|9. have||i) the painting|
|10. to appreciate||j) a better chance|
4. Give the equivalents from the text that mean the same:
to order — an official— an intention — a portrait — mystique –a smile — to detect — outside — sadness –a masterpiece — to appreciate – particular—an attraction
- a quality that makes someone or something seem mysterious, exciting, or special
- a plan or desire to do something
- special or great
- out of a building or room
- to ask for goods or services to be supplied
- a painting, drawing, or photograph of a person
- an expression in which your mouth curves upwards, when you are being friendly or are happy or amused
- the state of feeling sad
- to notice or discover something, especially something that is not easy to see, hear etc.
- a work of art, a piece of writing or music that is of very high quality or that is the best that a particular artist, writer etc. has produced
- to understand how good or useful someone or something is
- something interesting or enjoyable to see or do
- someone who is in a position of authority in an organization
5. Say if sentences are TRUE or FALSE:
- A lot of people visit the Louvre Museum in Paris to see the Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci.
- Most of them spend hours looking at the picture.
- A rich businessman in Florence ordered a portrait of his daughter, Lisa.
- Leonardo didn’t want to sell the picture.
- Mona Lisa’s mysterious eyes have fascinated everyone who has ever seen the painting.
- Her smile looks alive and real.
- Sometimes we can notice sadness in her smile.
- Officials at the Louvre Museum placed the painting in a specially built building with other great 18th century French paintings.
6. Answer the questions according to the text:
- Why do people visit the Louvre Museum in Paris ?
- Do they need a lot of time for this?
- Did the artist love the picture? Prove with the facts.
- How much time did it take to create it?
- How did the artist try to make Lisa happy?
- The Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci is a great work of art, isn’t it?
- Where does her image appear?
- Where did officials at the Louvre Museum place the painting?.
7. Would you like to have the Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci hanging in your house?