Exercises to Card 12
I. Reading “AMELIA”
I.Find in the text English equivalents:
Женщина-пилот, неустроенное детство, хотя, после окончания высшей школы, военная медсестра, обучала иммигрантов английскому, социальный работник, десятиминутный полет, научиться летать, уроки пилотирования, получила приглашение, из Канады в Великобританию, только один пассажир, сделал её знаменитой, ее будущий муж, издатель, побила несколько рекордов, заработала уважение, доказав, если не лучше.
II. Translate into Russian:
The most famous, often missed school, nevertheless, bright academically, to study nursing, aerial stunts, during 1920s, several odd jobs, cross-country air races, flight across the Atlantic, although, arranged the flight, organized all the publicity, to have flown it twice, understandably, transatlantic crossing record, women pilots, even more famous.
III. Say if sentences are TRUE or FALSE:
- Amelia Earhart was born in 1997 in Kansas, the USA.
- Her childhood was happy and rich.
- Amelia was considered to be very bright academically.
- After graduating from high school she decided to study art.
- During the First World War she worked as military nurse in Canada.
- She had saved enough money to buy her own car.
- She organized cross-country air races for women pilots.
- Amelia’s husband, George Putman, was a pilot.
- Amelia became the first woman to fly the Atlantic solo.
- She established a new transatlantic crossing record of 3 hours and 30 minutes.
IV. Answer the questions according to the text:
- When was Amelia Earhart born?
- What did Amelia enjoy at school?
- Where did she work during the First World War?
- What did she do when the war ended?
- When did her fascination with flying begin?
- How could she buy her own plane?
- What organization did she form?
- What invitation did she receive one day?
- When did she make her flight across the Atlantic?
- Amelia became the first woman to fly the Atlantic solo, didn’t she?
V. Match the words of the two columns to make up the word combinations used in the text and translate them into Russian:
|1. all over||a. reading|
|2. flew||b. shows|
|3. famous||c. time|
|4. fascination||d. the First World War|
|5. enjoyed||e. with flying|
|6. from that||f. the world|
|7. during||g. of going|
|8. free||h. organization|
|9. air||i. moment|
|10. instead||j. the plane|
VI. Give the equivalents from the text that mean the same:
|unsettled college nurse popular pay|
|pilot meet flight transatlantic crossing|
- to see and talk to someone for the first time;
- a journey across a large area or water, from one side to the other;
- a journey in an aircraft;
- likely to change suddenly not calm or having a regular pattern;
- liked, enjoyed or supported by many people;
- crossing the Atlantic ocean, or relating to countries on both sides of the Atlantic ocean;
- a person whose job is to care for people who are ill or injured, especially in a hospital;
- a university where you can study for an undergraduate degree;
- to give money to someone for something you want to buy or for services provided;
- a person who flies an aircraft.
Listen to the conversation and answer the questions below.
I. Choose the right answer:
1. Nancy has been home from college for….now.
a) three days
b) for a week
c) two days
2. Nancy doesn’t have to ……at college.
a) have lunch
b) visit classes
c) clean up her room
3. Nancy’s father is very much afraid of the.. ……..
4. Now Nancy’s parents are more concerned about the ….. in her room.
5. Nancy wants her parents to know they’ve ruined her…….
II. TRUE or FALSE:
- Nancy has been home from university.
- Nancy’s mother is happy she is going to such free-willing institution.
- This morning the hurricane is going to start in Nancy’s room.
- Nancy’s parents are very much worried about her health.
- Nancy will clean up her room.
III. Fill in the missing words
- Nancy has been _______ from _________ for _______ days now.
- We don’t have to ________ our _______ at college, Mum.
- But your _______ is very much afraid of the _______.
- Do you realise how big _________ are __________ our ______.
- But we still have that __________ idea about making _____ in the morning.
IV. Answer the questions:
- What do Nancy’s parents worry about?
- What is Nancy’s father very much afraid of?
- Why does Nancy refuse to do household chores?
- What arguments does mum use to make Nancy clean the room?
- Will Nancy clean her room?