Reading “MR WEMMICK’S “CASTLE””
I. Find in the text English equivalents:
Большой сад, покрашен как, я когда-либо видел, слишком маленький, никто не мог войти, поднял свой мост, очень мало, немедленно, впечатляющий звук, овощной сад, с улыбкой, выращивал огурцы, несколько заколок для волос, частная жизнь, смогу выжить, коллекция любопытных вещей, получал мои комплименты, отличное состояние, в то же самое время, главным образом.
II. Translate into Russian:
A little wooden cottage, in the middle of, loaded with guns, almost, crossed the bridge, four feet wide, two feet deep, crossed a gap, the gun on the roof, a famous forgery, written from prison, my own carpenter, my own plumber, my own gardener, to bring his property, absolute ownership, leave behind me, to do the same, the top of the house, in a professional manner.
III. Say if sentences are TRUE or FALSE:
- Wemmick lived in an expensive castle.
- The cottage was in the middle of a large garden.
- He raised the bridge so that nobody could enter the Castle.
- There was a bell on the roof of the house.
- There were cats, dogs and mice at the back of his house.
- Wemmick got his own vegetable garden.
- He had his collection of stamps.
- Wemmick was his own Jack of all Trades.
- It had taken him a few years to bring his property to this state of perfection.
- When he goes to the office he leaves the Castle behind him.
IV. Answer the questions according to the text:
- Where did Mr. Wemmick live?
- How had the top of the house been built and painted ?
- What did Mr. Wemmick do so that nobody could enter the Castle?
- What was there on the roof of his house?
- What animals were there at the back?
- What did he grow in his garden?
- Will Mr.Wemmick be able to survive if the Castle is attacked?
- What collection did he show to his guest?
- How long had it taken him to bring his property to this state of perfection?
- Why does Mr. Wemmick call himself Jack of all Trades?
V. Match the words of the two columns to make up the word combinations used in the text and translate them into Russian:
|1. state||a. engineer|
|2. Jack||b. the office|
|3. Wemmick’s||c. garden|
|4. several||d. side|
|5. leave||e. all Trades|
|6. vegetable||f. night|
|7. every||g. the smile|
|8. my own||h. of perfection|
|9. seeing||i. manuscripts|
|10. on the wrong||j. house|
VI. Give the equivalents from the text that mean the same:
|carpenter load tiny battery house|
|commit bridge raise fire own|
- a building that people live in;
- to lift something to a higher position;
- a person whose job is making and repairing wooden objects and structures;
- belonging to or done by a particular person or thing;
- to contain a lot of;
- the shooting of guns or other weapons;
- extremely small;
- a structure that is built over the river, road or railway to allow people and vehicles to cross from one side to the other;
- a number of things of a similar type;
- to do something illegal or something that is considered wrong.
Listen to the conversation and answer the questions below.
I. Choose the right answer:
1.Sally Myers is a ……year-old writer.
2. Sally……her book last year.
3. Sally wrote down ..……..for her pen-friend.
4. Sally’s father thought the book was……………
5. Sally is planning to………………..
a) enter the university
b) to travel abroad
c) to write one more book
II, TRUE or FALSE:
- Sally published her book two years ago.
- She had a diary for a couple of years.
- She always showed people what she wrote.
- Sally’s pen-friend suggested her to write a little book for other kids.
- Sally’s mum tried to stop her from sending the book to publishers.
III. Fill in the missing words
- My ___________ was _______________to a new city.
- I wrote about my ______, _______, __________.
- He thought I’d feel ________ and _________ if they didn’t like it.
- People think I ______ lots of ______ but it’s not ______.
- I do get ______ from _______ who’ve read my book.
IV. Answer the questions:
- How old is Sally?
- Why did she decide to write a book?
- Did she ever show people what she wrote?
- What did her father think about her book?
- Did Sally’s life change after publishing the book?