Reading “ARE YOU READY TO BE INDEPENDENT?”
I. Find in the text English equivalents:
Способность детей-подростков, присмотреть за домом, самостоятельно, подготовили несколько тестов, в доме были другие проблемы, вернулись из отпуска, провалили тест, попросили электрика, заменить лампочки, машина по приготовлению кофе, даже не подумали поискать, результаты ее эксперимента, часто выбрасывают вещи, как работают вещи, часть проблемы, совсем не умеют готовить, в холодильнике, простые работы по дому.
II. Translate into Russian:
Recently, household jobs, stayed at home, took the plug off, took out some good light bulbs, in the bathroom, to change the plug, for repairing the bathroom tap, went to buy a new one, the missing part, was not surprised by, are not able to solve, this is wrong, you have to pay, repairing broken things, nothing to warm up, the truth is that, find them boring, though, they should learn.
III. Say if sentences are TRUE or FALSE:
- Angela Rowlands recently tested her husband‘s ability to do basic household jobs in the house.
- Mark and Frances stayed at home to look after the house.
- The parents prepared a few presents for their children.
- One of the taps in the bathroom was broken.
- The children hadn’t failed the independence test.
- Mark and Frances changed the light bulbs themselves.
- The children bought a new coffee maker.
- Rowlands was very surprised by the results of the experiments.
- Today a lot of young people can solve all the problems in the house.
- Many young people don’t want to learn basic household skills.
IV. Answer the questions according to the text:
- What did Angela Rowlands recently test?
- Where did Angela and her husband go?
- Who stayed in the house to look after it?
- What did the parents want to see?
- Did the parents tell their children about the tests?
- What had happened with the microwave?
- What did the children go to buy?
- Who had the children asked to change the plug on the microwave?
- Do young people understand how things work?
- Did the children pass their test?
V. Match the words of the two columns to make up the word combinations used in the text and translate them into Russian:
|1. ready-made||a. problems|
|2. independent||b. the house|
|4. left||d. machine|
|5. household||e. meal|
|6. light||f. people|
|7. health||g. life|
|8. coffee||h. bulb|
|9. young||i. problems|
|10. bathroom||j. jobs|
VI. Give the equivalents from the text that mean the same:
|skill solve manage test break|
|household independent manage tap microwave|
- not influenced or controlled in any way by other people, events, or things;
- to give someone a set of questions, in order to measure their knowledge or ability;
- to succeed in doing or dealing with something, especially something difficult;
- an electric oven that uses waves of energy to cook or heat food quickly;
- a device that controls the flow of liquid, especially water, from a pipe;
- to put something that is damaged ,broken, or not working correctly, back into good condition or make it work again;
- to find an answer to a problem;
- to destroy or end something, or to come to an end;
- relating to a house or flat and the people who live there;
- an ability to do an activity or job well, especially because you have practised it;
Listen to the conversation and answer the questions below.
I. Choose the right answer:
1.It was a beautiful ………
a) sunny morning
b) rainy evening
c) snowy night
2. Tom had his ……..
b) day off
3. Tom went to visit his………
4. The boys rented a ………..
a) speed boat
5. Tom had never been …..before.
II. TRUE or FALSE:
- Tom’s cousins had recently rented a flat.
- Tom set off on his motorbike.
- Tom taught his cousins how to go water-skiing.
- At about six o’clock there were dark clouds in the sky.
- The boys looked happy and didn’t feel frightened.
III. Fill in the missing words:
- I threw a ________ and a pair of ______ _______ into my bag.
- We’ve _______ a __________ to go _____-_______.
- I managed to stand on the _______ without _______ into the _______.
- While they were ________ me along, the ______ suddenly stopped.
- There was a loud _______ of _________.
- A _______ of _______ lit up the evening _______.
IV. Answer the questions:
- Where did Tom spend his day off?
- Tom went to his cousins’ cottage by bus, didn’t he?
- What went wrong?
- Had he ever been water-skiing before?
- What made Tom feel frightened?