I. Reading “PYTHAGORAS”
I. Find in the text English equivalents:
Важный математик, секретное общество, загадочная фигура, продавал свои товары, хорошо образованный, узнать больше, дискуссии со священниками, например, носили шкуры животных, посадили в тюрьму, достиг совершенства, методы обучения, грубо обращались с ним, против его воли, управляют вселенной, сила музыки, любит мудрость, философ, известная теорема, знали мало.
II. Translate into Russian:
Is often described, leader of a society, half religious, was a merchant, about mathematics and astronomy, visited many temples, came to adapt, later in his life, he founded a school, did not appreciate, furthermore, wanted to involve, for these reasons, present in all things, those who love honor, remember him best, refused to eat beans, introduced to mathematics.
III. Say if sentences are TRUE or FALSE:
- We know a lot about Pythagoras achievements.
- Pythagoras was born on the Greek island of Crete.
- Pythagoras traveled with his father selling their goods.
- In 1535 BC, Pythagoras traveled to France.
- Pythagoras was taken prisoner by the King of Persia.
- Pythagoras reached perfection in arithmetic and music in Babylon.
- The people of Samos appreciated the teaching methods of Pythagoras.
- Many of the customs he learned in Egypt he came to adopt.
- Pythagoras used music as a kind of therapy to help those who were ill.
- We remember him best for his famous Law of Gravitation.
IV. Answer the questions according to the text:
- How is Pythagoras often described?
- Where was Pythagoras born?
- Who was his father?
- Who introduced Pythagoras to mathematics?
- Where did philosophers advise him to travel to?
- What did Pythagoras learn in Egypt?
- What happened to Pythagoras in 525 BC?
- Where did he reach perfection in arithmetic and music?
- Did he found a school or university when he returned to Samos?
- How did he help people who were ill?
- What did we remember Pythagoras best for?
V. Match the words of the two columns to make up the word combinations used in the text and translate them into Russian:
|1. his||a. scientific|
|2. returned to||b. politics|
|3. learned||c. to Italy|
|4. was transported||d. Egypt|
|5. those who love||e. of men|
|6. half||f. achievements|
|7. three types||g. wealth|
|8. traveled to||h. to Babylon|
|9. went||i. music and poetry|
|10. local||j. Samos|
VI. Give the equivalents from the text that mean the same:
|important island believe king travel|
|improper help priest astronomer learn|
- dishonest and against a law or a rule;
- a person, usually a man, who has been trained to perform religious duties in the Christian Church, especially the Roman Catholic Church, or a person with particular duties in some other religions;
- the title of a male ruler of a country, who holds this position because of his royal birth;
- a piece of land completely surrounded by water;
- having great effect or influence;
- to make a journey, usually over a long distance;
- to make it possible or easier for someone to do something, by doing part of the work yourself or by providing advice, money, support, etc.
- to think that something is true, correct, or real;
- someone who studies astronomy;
- to get knowledge or skill in a new subject or activity;
Listen to the conversation and answer the questions below.
I. Choose the right answer:
1. Mr. Cansler is ….
2. He was one of…. children in his family.
3. They spent all days ……..
4. Mr. Cansler’s father died at the age of
5. What you can do is be as……as possible.
II. TRUE or FALSE:
- Mr. Cansler is one hundred.
- Mr. Cansler’s birthday is in two months.
- Nowadays people seem to be crazy about having a healthy lifestyle.
- Mr. Cansler tried cigarettes in his childhood.
- Mr. Cansler worked hard on his farm.
III. Fill in the missing words
- You are in ________ form.
- People seem to be _______ about having a _______
- There were no ________ to take any _________.
- We all probably _____ ______ my ________.
- I thought I’d look ________ with a _________.
IV. Answer the questions:
- How old is Mr. Cansler?
- How many children were there in Mr. Cansler’s family?
- What kind of life did he have when he was young?
- Has Mr. Cansler ever smoked?
- What did he do with his pipe?
- Why did he throw his pipe away?
- What does he recommend listeners to do?