Задание I. Прочитайте текст. Затем прочтите утверждения после текста и отметьте в талоне ответов.
T (true), если утверждение верное; F (false), если утверждение неверное. Пример. John Farynor was barber to King Charles II. Ответ: F.
The Great Fire of London
John Farynor was baker to King Charles II. One Saturday evening in 1666, he went to bed in his room above his bakery in Pudding Lane accidentally leaving a flame still flickering in his bread ovens. If only he had known the significance of that small flame! At two o’clock on Sunday morning, the fire in the bakery sparked off one of the worst fires in history, the Great Fire of London.
Pudding Lane lay at the centre of an overcrowded area of old London, and thousands of local inhabitants were soon out in the street, watching the blaze. If fires had not been so common in the city, people would have been more alarmed. But it was not until midday on Sunday that people realized how serious the situation was and the king was told of the fire.
On Sunday afternoon the blaze reached the Thames, and the river warehouses containing oil, brandy and coal exploded like bombs. Meanwhile a strong wind blew continuously from the east and the fire spread uncontrollably to the west.
The disaster continued from Sunday to Wednesday. By then it had burnt down 13,000 houses, destroyed 87 churches and blackened 30 acres. The greatest fire was at St. Paul’s Cathedral where the heat caused the stonework to explode and the tombs to burst open.
Remarkably, only eight people died in the Great Fire of London. Most people had plenty of time to escape and the surrounding countryside was one vast refugee camp.
By Wednesday night the fire was almost extinguished, largely due to the personal intervention of the king, who instructed the fire-fighters to knock down buildings so as to clear a space as a firebreak.
Baker Farynor’s mistake did result in some good, however. The slums of central London were destroyed in a single week and the fire cleared the last traces of London’s previous disaster, the Great Plague of 1665, which had claimed 100,000 victims.
1. As soon as the fire started the Londoners rushed out of the city.
2. The Great fire of London was caused by a lightening when it struck Farynor’s bakery.
3. The weather conditions let the fire spread quickly.
4. The countryside near London became a place of safety for many refugees.
5. The Great Fire of London like the Great Plague of 1665 claimed many victims.
Задание II. Выберите верный ответ на следующие вопросы:
6. What was the cause of the Great Fire of London, one of the worst fires in history?
A. a burning cigarette
B. carelessness of a royal subject
C. an electrical fault
D. an explosion in the river warehouses
7. Why weren’t the inhabitants alarmed when the fire started?
A. They were fascinated by the burning houses.
B. The fires were not uncommon in the city.
C. The king ordered them to keep quiet.
D. They waited for the king’s orders.
8. How many lives did the Great Fire of London claim?
A. one hundred thousand victims
B. thousands of local inhabitants
C. less than a dozen
D. thirteen thousand people
9. What was the positive effect of the disaster?
A. The king ordered to work out fire-prevention regulations.
B. Only old and ramshackle houses were burnt and new buildings were left intact.
C. It put an end to a terrible epidemic of the disease incurable at that time.
D. The slums of the outskirts of London were destroyed and the central London remained intact.
10. How long did the disaster last?
A. the whole week
B. from the end of the week till the middle of the next week
C. the whole month
D. It started on Wednesday and ended on Sunday.
Задание III. Выберите правильный и наиболее точный вариант перевода следующих предложений.
11. If fires had not been so common in the city, people would have been more alarmed.
A. Если бы костры чаще жгли в городе, люди бы не так сильно тревожились.
B. Если бы пожары не были таким обычным явлением в городе, люди бы были более встревожены.
C. Если бы огни не были так опасны в городе, люди бы меньше тревожились.
D. Если бы пожары не охватили весь город, люди бы перестали беспокоиться.
12. By Wednesday night the fire was almost extinguished, largely due to the personal intervention of the king.
A. В среду к ночи пожар почти полностью погасят, в большей степени благодаря личному вмешательству короля.
B. Поздно вечером в среду пожар почти был погашен, главным образом благодаря вмешательству короля.
C. К вечеру в среду пожар будет полностью потушен, во многом благодаря личному приказу короля.
D. К вечеру в среду пожар был почти потушен, в основном благодаря личному вмешательству короля.
13. If only he had known the significance of that small flame!
A. Если бы только значение этого маленького пламени было известно заранее!
B. Если бы не он, никто бы не узнал, каким значительным станет этот небольшой пожар!
C. Если бы он только знал тогда значение того небольшого пламени!
D. Значение того пламени не было бы таким важным, если бы он только узнал о нём!
14. Baker Farynor’s mistake did result in some good, however.
A. Ошибка повара Фаринора дала хорошие результаты, несмотря ни на что.
B. Хотя пекарь Фаринор и сделал ошибку, она послужила ему хорошим уроком.
C. Ошибка пекаря Фаринора, всё же, принесла в результате пользу.
D. Иногда делая ошибки, пекарь Фаринор всё-таки добивался кое-каких хороших результатов.
Задание IV. Изучите определения, данные словам из текста. Некоторые из определений неверные. В талоне ответов отметьте: Т(true), если определение верное; F(false), если определение неверное.
15. Flame – a mass of burning vapor or gas rising from a fire in streams or darting tongues of light. 16. Blaze – a hardly visible, unsteady and wavering flame, fire.
17. Fire – a destructive outbreak of burning, as of a building.
18. Spark – a cold particle thrown out by burning substance.
Задание V. Прочитайте следующие четыре текста. Выберите заголовок к каждому из них. Выбранный вариант заголовка отметьте в талоне ответов соответствующей буквой. Два заголовка лишние.
A. Don’t leave children alone with their problems
B. Parents ask doctors for help
C. Only the little ones reap the benefit
D. «Early to bed – early to rise». Is it really so?
E. Scientists in search of the methods to improve mental speed and memory
F. Too many demands strain and frustrate them
19. One in five modern children suffers from anxieties so severe that they should be classified as psychiatric disorders, say scientists from the University of Maastricht. The researchers interviewed 290 Dutch primary school children aged between eight and thirteen; 20 per cent of them were beset with worries so serious that they limited their ability to lead normal lives, reports The Daily Mail. Many had trouble sleeping; some were afraid to leave their homes; others had problems interacting with their peers. «This could be caused by parents being away from their children for long periods or by children being stressed at school. A parent who does not spend time with their child could miss out on the fact that the child has the problem, meaning it can go untreated and get worse.»
20. To give your children a head start in life, sit them in front of the television. A study of 200 American pre-schoolers has revealed that toddlers who watch TV for two hours a day develop more quickly than those who do without. On average, the two- and three-year-olds who watched TV scored 10 per cent higher in reading, matches and vocabulary. However, the programmes have to be aimed at their age group – children derive no benefits from watching TV designed for adults. «Television opens up the world to many young children and gives them a head start, which is sustained in improved academic achievement throughout their school lives», said Aletha Huston of the University of Texas. But the positive impact of TV declines with age, reports The Sunday Times. Older children who watch more than 16 hours of TV a week perform worse than their peers.
21. The early bird may catch the worm – but people who lie around in bed in the morning and work into the evening are more intelligent, according to Richard Roberts of University of Sydney. The scientists asked 400 volunteers to fill in questionnaires to work out if they considered themselves early-rising «morning types» or late-working «evening types». Each was then subjected to mental agility and memory tests. The researchers discovered that the «evening types» had significantly better mental speed and memory. «The results indicate that, contrary to conventional folk wisdom, evening types are more likely to have higher intelligence scores», Roberts told The Sunday Telegraph.
22. Pushy parents may be doing their children more harm than good, says Washington-based childcare expert Matthew Melmed. Professional parents frequently overstimulate babies and toddlers and buy them educational toys that are too old for them in the belief that they are improving their prospects. In fact, faced with such demands, the children may become frustrated and give up completely. Worse still, the children recognize that they are disappointing their parents and this sense of failure eats away at their self-esteem. The warning comes as an ever-increasing range of educational material is being produced for the very young. In the US, «hyper-parenting» is rife, says Joanna Coles in The Times. Expectant mothers are pressured into buying CDs such as Mozart for Mothers to Be («Build your baby’s brain!») while no self-respecting newborn would be without educational videos including baby Einstein and Baby Shakespeare.
Задание VI.Укажите номер текста из задания V, в котором раскрываются следующие утверждения. Несколько утверждений могут относиться к одному и тому же тексту. Образец:
23. Loneliness, emotional strain and distress can cause health problems.
24. Too many educational facilities do more harm than good.
25. People having an active, penetrating mind prefer to work late into the night.
26. Put less pressure on your babies!
27. When they grow up the positive effect of it decreases.
Задание VII. Найдите лишнее слово в каждой тематической группе: 28.In the garden: A. bee; B. leaves; C. bush; D. sunflower; E. battle; F. beetle; G. blossom.
29. Theatre: A. show; B. cast; C. stalls; D. audience; E. pit; F. dress-circle; G. pot.
30. My future profession: A. seller; B. interpreter; C. sailor; D. nurse; E. accountant; F. alien; G. lawyer.
Задание VIII. Выберите правильный вариант ответа на следующий вопрос:
31. Where were Britain’s first overseas colonies? A. West Indies B. India C. North America D. Australia
Задание IX. Выберите верную грамматическую форму из предлагаемых вариантов A, B, C, D:
32. Dogs that are trained to lead … blind must be loyal, intelligent and calm. A. the B. a C. – D. an
33. … Tate Gallery is the main modern art museum in London. A. – B. the C. an D. a
34. She’d rather you … now. Can you come later? A. come B. didn’t come C. had come D. would come
35. I shall be back by eight, and I hope you … a good sleep by that time. A. shall have had B. will have C. will have had D. will be having
36. Bill asked, «What games do they play?» A. Bill asked what games did they play. B. Bill asked what games had they played. C. Bill asked what games they had played. D. Bill asked what games they played.
37. We had … nice meal last night. A. very B. too C. rather a D. quite
38. If I hadn’t worked hard when I was young I … where I am now. A. won’t have been B. would be C. hadn’t been D. wouldn’t be
39. Kate is … experienced she’ll get the job. A. such B. so C. ever D. even
40. Don’t ask me to play. – I am useless … computer games. A. with B. at C. in D. about
41. He tried to avoid … my question. A. to answer B. answering C. to have answered D. having answered
Задание Х. Составьте предложения из приведённых ниже слов. Запишите буквы, под которыми значатся слова, в порядке, соответствующем порядку слов в английском предложении. Не забудьте, что в каждом списке есть одно лишнее слово. Вопросительное слово должно стоять в начале предложения.
Пример:A. reads; B. English; C. books; D. they; E. read. Ответ: D E B C
42.A. of; B. her; C. cousins; D. sends; E. chocolate; F. my; G. a; H. sent; I. box.
43.A. you; B. are; C. to; D. customs; E. used; F. use; G. country; H. in; I. this?
44. A. see; B. this; C. not; D. before; E. I; F. remember; G. do; H. seeing; I. man.
Задание XI. В подчёркнутых фрагментах каждого предложения найдите ошибку:
45. If one does not have respect of himself(1), you(2) cannot expect others(3) to respect him(4).
46. A person who(1) is competitive in nature(2) is more likely to suffer(3) from the effects of stress on(4) his health.
47. He was so tired and depressed(1) that he felt he couldn’t move any longer(2); so he laid(3) on his back in the old grass looking up(4).
Задание XII. Прочитайте текст и заполните пропуски, выбрав один из четырёх предложенных вариантов ответов (A, B, C или D).
A tramp 48___ on a park bench late at night. A man and a woman were walking 49___. One of them tapped him on the shoulder and asked: «Excuse me! What’s the time?» The tramp was very annoyed 50___ being woken up. «I don’t know!» he said angrily. «I haven’t got a 51___». And he went back to sleep. Some time later 52___ man was passing. He woke the tramp up and said: «I’m sorry to bother you, 53___ I wonder if you could 54___ me what time is.»
Again the tramp said that he 55___. By now he was very fed up, 56___ he got a pen and a piece of paper and wrote I don’t know what time is on it, and went back to sleep.
Half an hour 57___, a policeman was passing. He read the sign, woke the tramp up and said: «It’s 2.30, sir.»
A. was sleeping
B. had slept
C. had been sleeping
D. was slept
D. to pass
A. the other
A. didn’t know
B. doesn’t know
C. hadn’t known
D. won’t know
Задание XIII. На предложенную реплику-стимул выберите правильный вариант ответной реплики:
58. What is Tom like? A. He is quite well. B. He is tall and strong. C. He likes music. D. He is very busy.
59. Good-bye Mr. Smith! Than you for a nice party. A. The pleasure is all mine. B. That’s O.K. C. I don’t mind it at all. D. That’s very nice of you.
60. Sorry to keep you waiting. A. Not at all. B. That’s all right. C. You are welcome. D. No, you needn’t.
Талон ответов (ответы на образец вступительного теста по английскому языку в БГУИР) 2004 год
F C H B G I A E
B A E C D H I G
E G C F H B I D
Если вы нашли ошибку, пожалуйста, выделите фрагмент текста и нажмите Ctrl+Enter.