Confusing verbs study & learn
Learn — learned or learnt — 1) to gain knowledge of a subject or skill, by experience, by studying it, or by being taught (to learn a language / a musical instrument / a skill ) учиться, приобретать практические навыки, знать, как сделать что-то
2) ) to become aware of sth by hearing about it from sb else узнать что-то
Study — 1) If you study, you spend time learning about a particular subject or subjects учить, изучать (как правило посещая занятия и получая информацию из книг, а также занимаясь исследовательской работой
2) to watch, or look at sb/sth carefully in order to find out sth тщательно рассматривать, изучать
Ex. 1 Fill in study or learn in their forms.
1. What’s the best way to *** a language?
2. He *** about his appointment by telephone yesterday.
3. Last week I *** that I was pregnant.
4. Anna is *** French literature.
5. She was surprised to *** that he was a lot older than she had thought.
6. Today we *** how to use the new software.
7. I *** of her arrival from a close friend.
8. My brother *** at the Royal College of Art.
9. We were very surprised to *** (that) she had got married again.
10. How did they react when they *** the news?
11. We have to *** one of Hamlet’s speeches for school tomorrow.
12. I want time to *** this contract thoroughly before signing it.
13. I’ve *** a lot about computers since I started work here.
14. First you’ll *** (how) to use this machine.
15. I don’t know how actors manage to *** all those lines.
16. We were all shocked to *** of his death.
17. Their children were going to *** English…
18. He is *** to play the piano.
19. Experienced teachers help you *** quickly.
20. I can’t *** with that music playing all the time.
21. I *** to drive when I was 17.
22. It’s difficult to *** when the weather’s so hot.
23. My brother’s *** to be an accountant.
24. How long have you been *** English?
25. He’s *** to dance.
26. Don’t disturb Jane, she’s *** for her exams.
27. Scientists are *** photographs of the planet for signs of life.
28. He *** her face thoughtfully.
29. We only *** who the new teacher was a few days ago.
30. Fran was *** the menu.
31. Researchers have been *** how people under stress make decisions.
32. Dad thinks I should *** to be a doctor, but I’m not interested in medicine.
33. I’m *** to play the piano.
34. He’s *** to be a lawyer.
35. His parents sent him to Moscow to *** physics, chemistry, and mathematics.
36. If you *** hard, you’ll be able to get into a good university.
37. She’s at business school, *** to be an accountant.
38. She spent several years *** the behaviour of gorillas in Africa.
39. I *** cases of tuberculosis in hospital employees between 1984 and 1992.
40. He went to Hull University, where he *** History and Economics…
Note: Упражнение составлено на базе аутентичных словарей, указанных на странице «О блоге и авторе»
Данные материалы могут быть использованы для подготовки к централизованному тестированию по английскому языку.