Difficult verbs raise/rise
Глаголы raise и rise многозначны. Существует также фразы с этими глаголами, но мы не будем заострять на них внимание. Наша задача — запомнить формы и основные значения.
to raise — raised -raised -raising
1) поднимать 2) повышать 3) собирать (Am) 4) выращивать, растить
to rise — rose — risen — rising
1) вставать, подниматься 2) увеличиваться, повышаться 3) вставать (о солнце) 4) брать начало
Ex. 1 Fill in the verb to raise in its forms and translate the sentences.
1. William *** his hat and smiled at her.
2. *** your hand if you know the right answer.
3. Many shops have *** their prices.
4. They are *** funds to help needy youngsters.
5. Albert *** his eyes and stared at Ruth.
6. He *** cattle in Nebraska when he was young.
7. Jim retired to *** raspberries.
8. She *** the gun and fired.
9. She *** her eyes from her work.
10. We are *** money for charity.
11. They were both *** in the South.
12. They *** her (as) a Catholic.
13. He could hardly *** the injured arm at all.
14. The farmer *** (= breeds) chickens and pigs.
15. I was born and *** in Alabama.
Ex. 2 Fill in the verb to rise in its forms and translate the sentences.
1. The research budget *** from ?175,000 in 1999 to ?22.5 million in 2001.
2. The divorce rate has *** steadily since the 1950s.
3. The floodwaters began to *** again.
4. He was accustomed to *** (= getting out of bed) early.
5. They *** from the table.
6. Unemployment *** (by) 3%.
7. Air pollution has *** above an acceptable level.
8. The Thames *** in the Cotswold hills.
9. The aircraft *** slowly into the air.
10. As the sun *** in the sky the temperature climbed.
11. She *** from her chair to welcome us.
12. He watched the smoke *** from his cigarette…
13. Tony had *** early and gone to the cottage to work.
14. He wanted to be over the line of the ridge before the sun had ***.
15. His voice *** almost to a scream.
Ex. 3 Fill in raise or rise in their forms. Translate the sentences.
1. Temperatures rarely *** above freezing.
2. He *** a hand in greeting.
3. He *** to his feet to deliver his speech.
4. Gas *** in price.
5. The powdery dust *** in a cloud around him.
6. The Trust hopes to *** $1 million to buy land.
7. I was born and *** a city boy.
8. The university is working to *** the number of students from state schools.
9. Her parents died when she was a baby and she was *** by her grandparents.
10. She *** to her feet.
Note: Упражнения составлены на базе аутентичных словарей, указанных на странице «О блоге»
Данные материалы могут быть использованы для подготовки к централизованному тестированию по английскому языку.
Нам давали ещё
arise — возникать,появляться
arouse — пробуждать интерес