1. Throw the keys *** me.
2. I’m tired *** always having to clear up after you .
3. I was warned *** going to the east coast because it was so full of tourists.
4. Of course you’re upset *** your dog’s death — that’s only natural.
5. My passport is valid *** another two years.
6. He had to wait *** more than an hour in casualty before seeing a surgeon.
7. We would like to warn viewers *** a nervous disposition that the following programme contains scenes which they may find disturbing.
8. The letter was very short, but at least she did write *** me.
9. A nasty person is someone who is rude or unpleasant *** other people.
10. He said that the report was nonsense and nothing but a waste *** paper.
11. Food or drink that is watery contains too much water and is therefore weak *** taste.
12. The instructions had been translated *** Japanese.
13. Don’t get upset *** the dress — there’s only a little stain on it.
14. A more integrated transport system would discourage the use *** private cars and develop public transport.
15. He threw a stone *** me, but fortunately he missed.
16. Dr Johnson once remarked that «When a man is tired *** London, he is tired *** life.»
17. They don’t seem particularly worried *** the situation.
18. The ticket is valid *** off-peak travel only.
19. A weed is also someone who is thin and physically weak or who is weak *** character.
20. Would you wait *** me while I go and fetch my coat?
21. You may feel all the training is a waste *** time, but later you’ll be grateful you did it.
22. We need to translate these worthy principles *** workable rules.
23. I really have to force myself to be pleasant *** him.
24. The use *** chemical weapons is a violation of international law.
25. I’ve got a dentist’s appointment on Friday that I’m rather worried ***. Will you go with me?
26. You could write *** him yourself, you know.
Ex. 2 Fill in the missing particles.
1. Stop throwing stones *** the window!
2. Police have warned *** possible delays.
3. Don’t throw it *** him, give it to him.
4. Please, try to be pleasant *** our guests.
5. Don’t upset yourself *** it-let’s just forget it ever happened.
6. She had valid reasons *** not supporting the proposals.
7. He warned us *** pickpockets.
8. I was always weak *** the science subjects.
9. Doctors are worried *** the possible spread of the disease.
10. She wrote *** him in France.
Note: Материал составлен на базе приложения к учебнику Round Up 5 by Virginia Evans с использованием аутентичных словарей.
Если вы нашли ошибку, пожалуйста, выделите фрагмент текста и нажмите Ctrl+Enter.